Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wo Bu Yao Sui Jiau

Ok, that is what my little monster is saying whenever we ask her to nap. My little monster aka energizer bunny is always so energized that I am a little worried. I always wonder if she is one of those hyperactive kids? I heard that is actually a disease and needs to be checked and treated. My mom, the babysitter, my friends and colleagues who met her will ask me the same thing 'where did she get all those energy from?'.

My little monster only sleeps about 9 hours each night (once a blue moon 8 hours). On top of that she naps for about 1.5 - 2 hrs daily (sometimes 1 hour). So all in she only takes about 9 - 11 hours a day which I think is not sufficient for a kid her age. But then again, I know some report will say that every kid will have different sleep requirements so we should not fret especially if they are growing up healthily.

However I do have a big problem. It is very hard to get her to nap in the day or sleep at night. Napping is slightly easier as we just put her into the cradle and since she has nothing to do and nowhere to go (she won't dare to jump out from the cradle on her own, at least not yet), she will eventually nap. We'll have to worry when we're not at home and there is no cradle. Getting her to nap is like a battle. Once she was at my mom's and it took my mom 2 hours to coax her to nap.

As for night time, we normally bring her to bed at 9pm. She'll finish her last bottle of milk, brushes her teeth and will be ready for bed by 9.30pm. However, it will take her at least 1 - 1.5 hours to fall asleep. On a few occasions 2! We tried various methods ie switching on the night light and that didn't help. She will run around the room or jump from our bed to her bed or simply play by herself. We also tried switching off all the lights and she will insist that we turn the night light on as she is afraid of monsters. If we refused to switch it on, she will switch it on herself. We asked her numerous times about the monster and she will point to the door, to the clock to the curtain and we ALWAYS assure her that there are no monsters. But every night she will say the same thing over and over. Sometimes we allow her to sleep in our bed or we'll sleep with her in her bed. Even that she will still say she's afraid. And one of us will sleep with her every night and she is not even sleeping alone!

Is this what a 2 year 4 months old kid will normally do or do any mummies out there have any better ideas on how to put a 2 year old to sleep without us losing our patience?

4 comments:

Ermayum said...

hmm takut hantu eh eheheh- susah jugak ni - my children senang ja tidur if tutup lampu and pat pat sikit :)- tell her no such ghost exist - ghost and monster only in movies :)

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

If you are worried, then send her for a check-up. But I am pretty sure she's OK. Maine at 17 months ol' only naps for 30-45 minutes in a day and at night she sleeps at 9+ or 10+. Ocassionally 11/12+. Wakes up at 9+am.

lynette said...

I think it's okay if she doesn't sleep as much.. But have u tried bringing her to playground and play and run and sweat for good 45min every evening? I tried doing it since my no1 turns 18months.. It helped...

Kiasu Mom said...

Ermayum, bukan hantu la... dia takut monster... entah copy mana...every night now I will tell her monsters are only in cartoons and TV. Hopefully one day she will understand.

LiLHypPo's mUMmy, seems like kids nowadays are sleeping lesser and lesser.

Lynette, thanks for dropping by. We will bring her to the playground ocassionally but definitely not everyday. One thing we noticed is that if she gets too tired, she will cry in the middle of the night. So we need to control a little bit.

BTW, I found a tactic that worked. Been using it for 2 days now. Will use it for a few more days and if it still worked like a charm, will share it with all :-)