Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bun's last check up

Saturday was Bun's last check up with Dr Lee. The next time we see Dr Lee, I will be on the operating table, naked and shivering (because of fear la) and with half of my body numbed and when it's all over I will have Bun in my arms and I will be in a lot of pain for days .... thinking of it alone is enough to cause me sleepness nights and I haven't been sleeping well in the past few nights because of the pain and because I could not find a comfortable spot - there is no comfortable spot!

I am officially off from work this week although I am still checking work emails occasionally in case my back up could not handle the 'shit' I left behind. I am trying to do a lot of last minute things such as cleaning, washing, packing, more cleaning, more washing and more packing. The weather hasn't been very co-operative, it's been raining everyday and my washing machine has been working non-stop. There seems to be no end in the things that I needed to wash and clean. I guess this is perfectly normal. I know I won't be able to clean and wash for at least a month or more so I am stressed out to get them all cleaned as much as I can now.

As of my last check up, I gained back 1 kg and current weight stands at 59.6kg. Dr Lee was delighted that I gained and he said everything is back to normal and I am ready for next Monday. Bun's head remained in the right position (ie bottom) but not engaged. Dr Lee said some babies especially 2nd pregnancies will only engage at the very last minute so it will be hard to tell if Bun will engage or not. Well, if Bun decides to come early, then we'll attempt natural based on the circumstances but if not, 1st Nov it will be.


We also managed to discuss about anasthetic with Dr Lee. Apparently there are 3 types - spinal, epidural and general anasthetic. I took the opportunity to ask him because for someone like me who has phobia towards needles, this is a BIG thing. I will even get weak knees when I had to go for my blood test and if the person drawing my blood is not skillful to do it quickly and at one go, I will faint, seriously.

Dr Lee explained that spinal is what most anasthetician would use for elective c-section, epidural injected in the empty space next to the spine is for natural birth and GA for elective c-section as well for those who would rather go to sleep during the surgery. Some anasthetician would use epidural for elective c-sec too. I had GA the first time and it was painless but the recovery was longer. I was groggy for a few hours and had to fast for 2 days and could not get down from bed for 2 days. I was told spinal would be painful when they jab into the spine but recovery would be faster. And since I am not planning for another child, I really wanted to build up enough courage to go through the surgery with a spinal jab. I wanted to see how or in this case hear how it was done. I just hope I won't chicken out at the last min.

Apart from worrying about which anasthetic to choose from and what have I not washed or cleaned, I am also constantly worried about the fact that in 4 more days I will have to manage 2 kids. Will I be able to do that? What will life be with 2 kids? How different will it be from now? I know many mothers have been through this and they survived and I will too, but I still can't stop myself from worrying and thinking too much. And you know what, we are going to put Hayley at the babysitter's for a few days when I am in the hospital and although that will only be happening in a few days, I am already feeling guilty and missing her like crazy even right now! Am I going insane or what????

The same guilt that I felt when I first found out I was pregnant that she will have to share my love with another sibling is back.... arghhh......

OK, I have to go and wash the bedsheets now.... tomorrow the curtains and strollers, Thurs the play pen.... hahaha

8 comments:

Alice Law said...

I used to be an ICU nurse,and we were quite familiar with anaesthetic, as that's our specialty.

I think the anaesthetist who has to interview you before operation, will suggest you to take up epidural(just numb half of your body). Lesser complication and you get to recover faster than the other 2 methods, most important you will get a chance to have your very 1st glance and hold your beloved bun right after delivery!;)

Have a great day!

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, Dr Lee said most anaestheticians in SDMC will use spinal wor... looks like I won't get to pick.

Alice Law said...

No worries, not much of a different between spinal and epi. You still stay conscious(but without pain), lol! The difference are its pain coverage and side effect. Epi is known to reduce pain more efficiently, while with spinal, some people might feel headache, nausea and vomiting later.

You might have to enquire your anaest whether they will sedate you upon inserting spinal, normally it's done to reduce your anxiety.

All the best my friend, wishing you a safe delivery!^-^
p/s: Keep us update ok?

Alice Law said...

Here I found an interesting article about the efficiency between Spinal and Epi, wonder if you were interested.

http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/content/80/4/709.full.pdf+html

It seems most nurses are sided Epi while Aneast prefer Spinal, how interesting! Cost wise, still spinal is cheaper!;)

Saw Leng, KOH said...

Amy, I'm not sure whether I had spinal or epi but the jabs were at the back. The anaes just kept on talking to me and I didn't even realised that they were done, same anaes with same experience for both occassions. Dont think so much, I remembered I still videoing the hospital, nurses, etc when I walked into the hospital.

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, thank you for the infor. I will check it out :-)

Treasure Memories, epi and spinal both also jab at the back la. I was told one is more painful than the other.. dunno which is which.

Ermayum said...

good luck i pray all will turn up great :)

Kiasu Mom said...

Ermayum, thank you dear..