Sunday, October 24, 2010

Heat rash attack 2

The heat rash attacked my poor girl again. The first time was in August and it lasted for slightly more than a week. This time we brought her to the paed and the paed said it wasn't heat rash. It was what chinese called 'fung mok'. I am not sure what it is called in medical terms. Anyway, the paed said it was an allergy, she is either allergic to some foods or some new washing detergent or some insects etc. The paed said it was mild and asked me if I gave her any new foods in the last couple of days. I honestly cannot recall giving her anything new and I bet the babysitter would tell me the same if I were to ask her on Monday. Hayley is 2.5 and she's eating everything we eat especially when we go out, it will be very tough to monitor her food.

Anyway, I am glad we brought her to the paed as the paed prescribed her with Atarax and the moment we gave her the first dose (she needs to take 3 doses a day for 3 days) the rashes disappeared. The paed also prescribed another med to be taken once a day for 2 weeks to hopefully get rid of this allergy.

Now the hard part is monitoring the food and if we can't find the source to it and should it happen again, we might need to document her daily food intake and routine to hopefully find the culprit.

As for eating the med, now that she's older and cheekier, she knows how to say no, how to keep her mouth closed and how to run away and hide the moment we take out the med bottle. The only way we can give her the med without any hassle is to bribe her with 1 M&M chocolate. We know bribing is not good but we're glad it worked.

7 comments:

Leona said...

What the heck...bribing is the best way...if it gets the child to eat her meds...
Good that Hayley takes to bribes. Last time, Bribe Ryan to eat his medicine..still cannot work.

Glad that the Atarax worked!

Alice Law said...

Heat rash/ skin allergic again?! Poor Hayley, glad that she is alright now! Take care and have a wonderful week ahead!

p/s: Just avoid those hypersensitive food list ok?

Kiasu Mom said...

Leona, yeah luckily it works. Else I'll be so stressed to get her to eat her med.. plus 1 small M&M won't kill her la.. hehe

Alice, well, I have not given her any hypersensitive stuff like prawns, crabs etc... she's been eating her usual stuff but I am not sure what the babysitter is giving her. That's the hard part to monitor lor...

Alice Law said...

Hypersensitive food including nuts and daily products too, Ah Xuan has hypersensitive skin condition thus I have to watch out his food... but sometime MIL doesn't understand and keep giving him 'this' and 'that', what else can I do...?(slap forehead)

Reanaclaire said...

i remember it was like a "war Zone" when it comes to taking medicine for my 2 sons.. gosh!! people would think we were abusing the child with all the forcing open mouth.. hahaha...

btw, hope your child is fine now..

Alice Phua said...

I also pernah kena 'fung mok' somewhere during my teens and also during my early twenties. My mum had an even more serious bout of 'fung mok' even in her 40s and 50s. Yes, doctor also said it's allergy. We didn't really bother to find what is it that we were allegic to. Doctor gave some cream to rub on it. I was lazy to put cream, but my mum was very diligent at it (but she put for herself),then in the end, somehow, over time, the 'fung mok' disappeared by itself. In the end, we still don' t know what caused it.

P/S: Good thing she is taken in by bribe for eating the medicine. If not, then it will be even more headache for you to get her to eat it.

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice Law, you have the same problem as me lor.. my babysitter is like your MIL.. hehe

Claire, yes she's ok now. Hopefully it won't come back. If a doctor must prescribe med, I make sure I ask for the sweet one cause if it is not sweet, I don't think bribery will work as well...

Alice Phua, if she gets the fung mok at her teens I don't think I will bother that much, she's old enough to decide what she wants to do. BUt now she's so young so I have to be responsible for her and make sure or at least hope that it won't attack her again. Very pitiful to see her scratch..