Monday, October 11, 2010

Stocking up on herbs from EYS

The moment I found out I got pregnant, my best friend asked me to make sure I stock up on some herbs from Eu Yan Sang (EYS). When she got pregnant and when her sis in law got pregnant, her mom gave them a checklist on the things they need to buy, some from EYS and some from any chinese herbs shops outside but her mom insisted that they MUST get everything on the list. She's had 1 kid, her sister in law 3 kids and they both seems to have very good health after having the kids and rarely falls sick - unlike me :-(.

So this time I decided to follow her and requested the checklist from her mom. This is what I was told to get and I got mine mostly from EYS for convenience sake:

  1. Dang Guai and Nan Zhao (get 100 grams and divide into 4 packs), boil and drink with chicken drumstick after 10 days, drink once a week
  2. Bak Foong pills (eat for 12 days, only start eating after menses is clear)
  3. So Hup pills (eat for 16 days, can start immediately after child birth, once in the morning and once at night)
  4. Astragalus slices (pak kei)
  5. Tong sum
  6. Red dates
  7. Black dates
  8. Lycium berries (kei chi)
  9. Dried longan
  10. Black beans (hak dao) use to boil with soup
  11. Pak Foong Ngai (herbs for shower)
Items 1 to 3
My 30 packs of items 4 to 9 all nicely prepacked so it would be more convenient for the confinement lady to boil for me
The only 2 items I haven't bought would be item 9 and 10 which I will get later from the chinese herbs shop outside the house. The above, all from EYS cost me a hefty RM718.32 (after member's discount). Well, money aside I just hope to have better health after having Bun because I certainly do not want to be sick so often again like what I have to go through after having Hayley.
At Leona's recommendation, I also got a pack of Bo Ying Compound for Hayley just in case. I was told by EYS that I should give it to Bun as well the moment Bun is born but I am not prepared to do that. I think my breat milk will be sufficient :-)

6 comments:

Alice Law said...

Ohhh... that was really a stock of chinese herbs! Hehe... my health has deteriorated too after having too kids, my mom always blames me for not taking care my own health properly during confinement.:p

All the best my friend, have a pleasant day ahead!

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, ya lor. I think we'll probably need to stock up more when the confinement lady arrives. She will probably tell me what else to buy. The last round I also didn't look after myself, didn't eat a single 'pou pan' and was ALWAYS sick.. I am scared to repeat the same thing so I vowed to myself that this time I must look after my own health first else I won't be able to look after 2 kids!

Alice Phua said...

Hi Kiasu Mom, greetings from Adventures of Juan Or and Mommy. I often see your comments in Alice Law's blog. How many months are you pregnant now? By the way, I have never stocked up Chinese herbs and the things that my MIL prepared for me (soups, confinement dishes, etc.) during my confinement didn't make use of so many kinds of herbs. I remember drinking red dates drink but in only one occasion, and the rest are only dishes with squashed ginger in the gravy together with chicken or fish and sometimes eggs, some vege and black fungus (bok nee), and wipe body with herbs water, that's all. As for my health during and after confinement till now, I don't often fall sick, at most is only runny nose, something like few months kena one time only.Also I never get sufficient sleep ever since my son is born till now (he's 2 yr 5 mths), but sekarang punya tak cukup tidur is becos of work plus layan my son. :P All the best in your pregnancy!

Kiasu Mom said...

Hello Juan Or's mommy :-), thanks for dropping by. I am 36 weeks already so its coming soon.. hehe. I didn't have a proper confinement the last time cause my mom helped me and she wasn't experienced. I ended up not eating much (only consumed half a bottle of rice wine in one month), not resting enough etc and was often sick during the first few months - fever, cough, flu that won't go away. I took MC from work almost very week! Plus I was suffering pain on my hands for 6 months (they said because I used the tap water too much) and even have problems turning the door knob especially in the morning. So I am really scared to go through the same thing again so this time I will just do whatever people ask me to do.

As for not getting enough sleep, I was quite lucky the first time around. My daughter at the age of 3 or 4 months (can't remember) will only wake up once in the middle of the night for feeds so I did get some rest. Even before she turned one, she already slept through the night. Hopefully the 2nd one will be as co-operative as the first :-)

And BTW, I added you to my blog list already. Would love to read more about you and your experiences in bringing up a kid. I did learn a lot from other blogger moms.

Ermayum said...

bagus you makan all these boiling things - i could not swallow traditional medicine hehe- all my jamu is in the form of tablet or kapsul - except for jelly gamat that i took to hasten the recovery of my C Sect wound :)

Kiasu Mom said...

Ermayum, the last time I didnt eat a single thing also. I dunno if I can eat this time but just buy first la.. else I confine at home then cannot go out to buy :-)