Sunday, April 26, 2009

THE UGLY: She threw tantrums, bit and smack others, who taught her?

My little girl have started showing the ugly side at just 14 months old. She threw tantrums, bit and smack others!

The tantrums
The first time was when we were in Genting and we let her walkabout and she headed towards the escalator. The papa quickly grabbed her by the armpit and at that very moment, she refused to stand up, sat on the floor and stamp her legs against the floor in protest!

The second incident happened yesterday when we were having lunch at a restaurant. We saw a dog and showed it to her. She love dogs. After a while we told her to go and she refused and again sat on the floor (the very oily floor) and stamp both her legs while shouting in protest!

I smack her buttocks slightly and thankfully she stopped immediately without much fuss.

She bites
She also started biting people lately. Not sure if she's aware that she's hurting people or maybe she thinks she's just playing. Anyway, it isn't fun to get bitten as she's got 4 solid teeth. So far I know she did it on me and the poor little boy at the babysitter's and each time she does it, I will tell her its wrong and smack her.

The first time when she bit me was when I asked her to kiss me on the cheek. She kissed and then followed by an unexpected bite :-(

She smacks
She also started smacking me on the hands and face lately. The papa says she's bullying me. Have not heard complaints from the babysitter about her bullying the little boy there though. Again she may not realise that what she did was wrong and she may think that she's just playing with me.

I honestly do not know where she learnt all the above from. The boy at the babysitter doesn't do them (according to the babysitter but I am not sure if that's true) and there is no one else at home for her to learn from. I really wonder. It could be from the TV but I am rather careful with what she watches at home but again I can't control what she watches at the babysitter's. My sister said she could have picked up all these to stay competitive at the babysitter's and to attract attention. Her eldest daughter doesn't behave like that but her youngest behaves just the same. Could it be rivalry?

I hope they are just temporary as she continues to learn what is right and wrong and I will not hesitate to smack her to make sure she knows. I have also asked the babysitter to co-operate by doing the same and I hope she will as I do not want to have a spoilt brat.

3 comments:

Penny said...

I think it's a phase. I've also been smacked before but thankfully he's stopped now. Maybe because he doesn't find any fun in doing so because he gets scolded and not much response from his smacking. I hope Hayley will stop bullying her mummy soon too!

Kiasu Mom said...

Penny: So happy to hear that you've been through that too. It comforts me to know that its a normal phase. What about the biting?

I really hope it will stop soon.

Penny said...

Err...the biting part wasn't really on me. He bit the father more. Hahaha. But that has definitely gone away also.