Saturday, November 1, 2008

Eczema and cradle cap

When I was 3 months old mummy thought I had dandruff on my head (she thought they were really dandruff). Over time, the patches got bigger and thicker. It was so itchy that I started scratching and once I scratched till it bled. I freaked mummy out. Mummy didn't know it was cradle cap (she haven't even heard of cradle cap until it happened to me). She didn't know what to do and called up a few of her friends who were experienced mothers and they told her different stories. Some said it was because she didn't shampoo my head properly, some said leave it and it will come off on its own, some said she will need to wet my hair and comb it off. She was confused, who wouldn't be?

At the same time, I had mild eczema too. Talk about troublesome babies :-(. Mummy noticed the areas where my skin were folded (ie elbow, neck, thighs, armpit etc) were reddish. The babysitter asked her to use powder which she reluctantly followed (isn't she silly?). It got even more red and my skin was peeling! She was even more freaked out. She blamed herself as she thought she did something wrong. She kept asking herself if she used the right product, if she bathe me correctly, if she did anything wrong and she even questioned if she was a good mom.

My aunty (mom's sis) and grandma said she was paranoid. They ask her to calm down and take it easily. They thought she had post natal depression as she was constantly worried and constantly trying to find solutions to help me.

Then mummy stumbled upon 'Life As A Mummy' blog by chance. It was then called 'Life as Parents'. Mummy googled 'baby eczema' and found this blog. We read her posting on treating eczema using Eubos Bath Cream Oil and Sebamed Baby Cream. We followed and after a few months, we could see the improvements. We are not sure if it's the product or if it's something else (mummy's friend told her that her daughter had cradle cap and eczema too and she tried all products and it won't go away, miraculously they went away when she was 7 or 8 months old so it is just a normal baby thing). We don't care why or what causes it to go away BUT WE ARE HAPPY IT DID. Thanks to 'Life as Mummy' for all those wonderful tips.

I am now free from cradle cap and eczema. Occasionally I would have small red spots on my neck and armpit (especially when the weather is hot) but mummy is not worried anymore. She continued to use the Eubos Bath Cream Oil and Sebamed Baby Cream on me even till today. The red spots will either disappear in a few days or sometimes they might take longer but eventually they will go away.

Mummy even emailed to Eubos asking them for the right directions to use the product to treat eczema properly. A pharmacist from Eubos did reply to mummy, to our surprise. She suggested using the product as follows:

1. Wet baby's body and apply several drops of Eubos Bath Cream Oil all over the body paying special attention to the affected areas
2. Rub for a few minutes
3. Rinse off with clean water

No comments: