Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bun at 29 weeks or 7 months

Had our monthly check up last Saturday and surprisingly it wasn't crowded (maybe Dr Lee wasn't that popular :-)). Reached the hospital around 9.45am and this time we brought Hayley along again to let her see the baby and we were done by 10.30am. As usual she was very excited and she got even more excited when Dr Lee gave her a chocolate and then another one as he promised as she was well behaved during the scan.


As for Bun, everything looks normal and good although the head was still on top. It was a quick routine scan. As for me, I gained another 3kg (oh shucks!) and I am now at 56.3kg, 11.3 kg gained. Dr Lee said anything between 12 - 15kg in total is considered normal. Looking at the rate I am going, I think I will become 'abnormal' at the end of it. I really should start watching my diet from now on (say only but can never resist the ice cream, donuts, murtabak chicken).... hahahaha...


Since the last check up a couple of things have changed in me.
  1. The pain I mentioned in my previous post here is getting so much better. At least now I could walk without being in a lot of pain. It only hurts once in a while now especially when I have walked too much or when I am too tired or when I toss and turn in bed. Otherwise not so much pain.. so that was a huge relieve.
  2. My tummy is also getting a lot bigger. Everyone who bumps into me (even strangers) will ask if I am due soon cause they said it looks huge and very low [nail biting].
  3. I find it challenging to stand up after sitting on the floor. Even when I am seated on the chair I can feel the bump directly resting on my thighs. Don't remember feeling these when carrying Hayley, at least not until the last month.
  4. Both my feet (around the calves) started to swell more than a month ago. The calves felt very hard and tensed. Even when I walk I can feel the calves hardened like I will be getting a cramp soon that kind of feeling. Dr Lee said the swelling could be caused by me sleeping on my back as he said sleeping on my back will reduce oxygen flow to the legs causing swelling and varicose veins as well as cramps. It won't be good for the baby too. I have been sleeping on my back since the pain down there started to avoid having to toss and turn but I have now started sleeping sideways despite the pain and hopefully the swelling will go away soon.
  5. I have had 2 cramps so far, both times on my right leg. They happened in the middle of the night and I suffered in silence... sob sob
  6. I am also feeling more pain around the tummy. Sometimes when Bun stretches ie when you see the tummy turning into an odd shape, it hurts. I had to stop doing whatever I was doing until the pain is gone as it really hurts. Don't know if these are called 'Braxton Hicks' contractions. I sometimes feel it a few times a day more so at night.
  7. The midnight need to go to the loo is still ongoing. Sometimes after going to the loo, I won't be able to fall asleep until 2 hours later hence waking up in the morning feeling very tired.
  8. I get lower back ache if I sleep on my back. Thankfully they only last for a while.

We still have not decided whether we will go for a normal or c-sec delivery. Dr Lee suggested checking the weight of Bun the next round which will be in 2 weeks. He said if Bun is between 2.8 - 3kg, I could still attempt a normal delivery but if Bun is going to be as heavy as Hayley (3.4kg) or around there, he would suggest a c-sec as he foresee that I will encounter similar problems ie baby not crowning due to my petite size (small bum). I am leaning towards c-sec as of now as I definitely do not want to go through the labour pains and then c-sec post surgery pains all over again.

7 comments:

Ermayum said...

great that all is well dear :) how could u suffer cramp alone - u dont even scream when it attack wow that is good - i screamed like crazy and woke up my hubby or push him hard to make him wake up and help to massage the area for a while so that the cramp lessen fast - get yr hubby to do that but u need to signal him with loud scream when the cramp comes :)

Kiasu Mom said...

I don't shout cause my little girl is sleeping with us too, don't want to wake her or frighten her. The cramps normally lasts a couple of seconds so I just tahan lor... I can tahan quite well :-)

Leona said...

Hhhmmm...wondering if Bun is a he or she??? Or did u mention it before??? Or are u gonna surprise us all???
Hapi to hear that ur pain has lessened!

Alice Law said...

Hey, I saw loads of improvement(your medical condition) through your updates, congratulation!^-^

You can try to sleep on your left, the best sleeping or leaning position for bun and you!;) Since you don't compress the liver, it circulars sufficient bloodflow in your body!

P/s: Don't worry about your weight, you probably can loose up more than 10kg if you breastfed exclusively!;)

Kiasu Mom said...

Hey Leona, I've never mentioned Bun's gender in the blog before.. keep the suspense a little longer la hehehe

Alice, yeah you are right I find sleeping on my left slightly better than sleeping on my right... been doing that since the check up. As for weight gain, yeah I know. With Hayley, I lost more than I gained in a few months.. the magic of breastfeeding :-)

Pei Chyi said...

sounds like Bun is growing well!
gosh, it's already 29 weeks? time flies, before u know it the baby is in your arms!! have you found your CL yet?

Kiasu Mom said...

PeiChyi, yup found the CL. From Telok Anson. An aunty of a friend. Hopefully she's good la.... fingers crossed...