Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Do kids know when they are lying?

Some interesting conversations with my 2 year 5 months old got me thinking.
  • Do kids know how to lie?
  • Do they even know they're lying?
  • Or are they just implying whatever that comes to mind ie whatever we've been indrectly teaching/showing them?
Scenario 1
I saw some bruises on her feet, obviously from her constant running around, climbing and bumping into furnitures.

Me: why your feet got so many scars? (she knows the word scar but don't really know what a bruise means yet)
Hayley: because papa pinch me, mummy pinch me lor
Me: when did papa or mummy pinch you?
Hayley: huh?!
Me: repeat my question again
Hayley: huh?!

This can go on and on.....

Scenario 2
She was scratching her ears until they bled

Me: what's wrong with your ear?
Hayley: because I notty papa beat me lor
Me: when did papa beat you?
Hayley: ha?!
Me: repeat my question again?
Hayley: ha?!

Again this can go on and on......

Scenario 3
Papa and I were talking in the car and she didn't want to be left out

Hayley: calling me or making all sorts of sounds trying to get my attention
Me: Shhh... mummy and papa talking, you cannot interrupt, mummy will talk to you after this ok? You cannot be so rude..
Hayley: Shhh.... keep quiet, if not papa will beat you!

*FAINT*

Maybe we have used the word beat too much in the past and it's now haunting us.

5 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

careful.. nanti people thought child abuse.. father mother always beat her one... hahhahaaa...

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

I keep reminding myself not to threaten my girl with this word too much. But I usually fail. Fastest and easiest solution to any situation. :(

Leona said...

The thing with kids at this age is that they absorb and retain things like a sponge... especially words that we 'don't want them to retain!!!
About telling lies, sounds like Hayley doesn't seem to know the concept of telling lies yet at her age...but it sounds that she may have a tendency to make up stories that may not be true (if not reprimanded now). Perhaps you could tell her that telling truth is important and making up stories is a WRONG thing and she doesn't want to end up with Pinnochio's nose.

Alice Law said...

Kiahahaha! how innocent, Hayley is such a highly imaginative girl!

Have a nice day!

Kiasu Mom said...

Reanaclaire, yeah.. quite scary.

Agnes, you are right. Saying is easy, executing is very hard. Sometimes we just use it without realising cause its like you say the fastets and easiest solution to any situation.

Leona, yeah I am trying to teach her that making up stories is not right. Don't think she's aware yet but hopefully one day she will be.

Alice, you know what, it reminded me of the story about Juan Juan and her swollen eye. Very similar hor? hehehe