Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How to teach a 2 year old to concentrate?

I always wonder if there is a way to teach a 2 year old how to concentrate or is that not possible at all?

It has always been mission impossible to do anything with Hayley that we can eventually complete from start to end - be it singing her favourite nursery rhyme, reading her favourite book, playing puzzles, playing flash cards, me giving her quizzes, eating lunch or dinner etc. She will either lose interest half way and start doing something else or she will run away.

As I have not started sending her to a nursery/playschool yet (am planning to in a few months as I am still trying to find the right school as well as waiting a little longer to observe how serious this second wave of H1N1 would be), I just want to make sure she's getting the right foundation at home despite the little time we have so she will not be left out when she eventually does go to school and interact with other kids.

Vocabulary wise I am sure she will be fine. She's very chatty and can often speak in a proper combination of a few words such as 'my papa is here already' when the papa arrived at the babysitter's or 'is an ant' or 'where is the baby ant?' when she spotted an ant on the floor or 'I want to go mummy bed' when she wants to tug in with me at night or 'mummy you ok?' when she heard me dropping something in the kitchen showing her concern. She's also very good at using 'please' and 'thank you' and 'excuse me'. But she still messes up 'my' and 'I' and 'you' and 'me' which I think is very common for a kid her age.

But in terms of activities, she's falling very much behind. Probably because I didn't spend enough time to play with her. But how to when she's not concentrating?

5 comments:

Leona said...

I also had that concern last time. ryan could never keep still when i did an activity with him when he was around two-ish. he either got impatient during the activity or start to lose interest and play with some thing else.
Dun worry, i believe introducing to the child some thing is gud enuf at this age, whether they sit thru out or not. It is still absorbed. when Hayley starts preschool, she would probably be more attentive in a group with other kids. i found ryan learnt faster ( on tasks n activities) when he was with his peers

Ermayum said...

oo that is every parents ' problems :). dont think that is she is not concentrating she not getting it - she is :) that a miracle of a child - like sometime they can absorb things without really focus on you or what you say
they all just cepat jemu /boring but no worries dear unlike child with whatever disorder :) (tak ingat whatits call) or autism ke yang memang susah nak suruh they all to concentrate on anything

Kiasu Mom said...

Thanks experienced mummies. I felt better knowing that this is NORMAL :-)

Alice Law said...

I personally think they are 2 main reasons that affect my girl's concentration, whether the task is too EASY for her or if it's way too HARD. I normally try to assign task that she able to achieve within her attention span (it's around 45mins), when she has done with it and own her gratification... I would slightly increase the difficulty bit by bit for the next round. Nevertheless, consistency is the key of success.

Have a nice day to you!

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, 45 mins, that's very good. I can't even get 10 mins out of her. She can't even sit 30 mins in front of the TV to finish 1 cartoon show. Anyway, I think every kid is different and as parent we just try and go along and make full use of whatever time we can get from them.