Thursday, February 12, 2009

Training my little one to sleep by herself

During the long CNY break I took the opportunity to train my little one to sleep by herself. I am not letting her sleep alone but I am just training her to sleep without me lullabying or patting her. I am quite surprised that it wasn't that hard. I thought by now it would be hard to change her habits but to my amazement it only took me 4 days.

Day 1 - I took her up to bed at 9pm as usual. I put her in the cot and wished her good night and gave her a kiss on her forehead. The moment I turn away she starting crying. I ignored her and lie on the bed. My bed is just next to her cot. She cried and yelled and tried to reach for me. I pretend to be asleep. She actually cried, occassionally with tears and occasionally without (those fake cries) for almost 50 mins! But in the end she fell asleep on her own.

Day 2 - Again we went up at 9pm. I did the same ritual of wishing her good night and kiss on the forehead. This time she cried or pretend to cry for 30 mins and then fell asleep.

Day 3 - Same ritual, 5 mins of crying and it took her 20 mins to fall asleep.

Day 4 - No more crying or yelling when I put her in the cot. She immediately lie down and started playing with her toys, bolster and blanket. She fell asleep on her own in 20 mins.

That was easy or so I thought. On the 5th day we brought her out and came home rather late. It was way past her bedtime. We reached home like 10pm. We immediately got her ready for bed and the moment I put her in the cot, she started behaving like her old self ie DAY 1!

Tonight was actually the 7th night and she took around 20 mins to sleep with 5 mins of crying just like in Day 3. I don't understand why there is a reformat button in their system. Now I think twice if I want to bring her out late. I am so afraid that DAY 1 will happen again. I really cannot bear hearing her cry and yell for 50 mins!

No comments: