Sunday, February 22, 2009

2 days after the jab..

Surprisingly the jab on Sat went quite well. Thankfully Dr Wong was on leave that day and another doctor (a male doctor and I forgot his name, shame on me) took over for the day. This doctos is great. I told him that Hayley is afraid of doctors (thanks to Dr Wong) and he was very understanding. As he needs to do the routine of listening to her lungs, checking her ears and mouth etc, he did it like a caring doctor. He distracted Hayley by playing with her. He used toys and he even spoke with her in baby language - which is great. Hayley didn't cry during the routine check (she normally cries if it was Dr Wong) but she did during the jab. This time, instead of her thigh, the doctor went for her buttock. She hugged her papa so tightly during and after the jab. She cried for a while and very quickly regained her composure.

The doctor said there is a likelyhood that she will get fever after this jab. The nurse said the fever might come only after a week and during this time we have to give her more fluid. I am monitoring her temperature closely and I am hoping that she won't get any fever.

During the check up I also took the opportunity to clarify some doubts with the doctor. I confirmed with him that it is ok for me to give Hayley yogurt and cheese. He told me that I need to be adventurous is preparing Hayley's food. Apart from the nutritions, I also need to expose her to various taste and texture of the food. He said if I didn't she might end up being a picky eater and I could not agree more.

As for her growth, the doctor said she is petite (probably just like me and hubby). At 12 months, she is aprrox 73cm in length and 8.34kg in weight. When she was 9 months, she was 7.89kg. She gained very little despite having 3 - 4 bottles of 7oz milk a day, 2 bowls of porridge with fruits, biscuits and bread in between. The doctor said there is nothing to be concerned about cause she looks healthy and she doesn't look skinny. He did ask me if she was an active baby - indeed she is. Anyway, the doctor said as long as she's continuously gaining and growing, there should be nothing to worry about. He did ask me to feed her a little more than the usual though.

Now, her next jab will be at 13th month. I hope Dr Wong will be away again then.. hahaha

No comments: