Thursday, February 26, 2009

Constipation has begun

My oh my, today is the 2nd day I've changed Hayley's formula from Enfalac A+ to Enfagrow A+ and she started having constipation problems. I have no problems with the switching over though and have to agree with other blogger moms that Enfagrow A+ is much sweeter than Enfalac A+. The moment you open the packet, you can immediately smell the vanilla flavour.

I know that to help her ease the constipation I have to give her more water, more veges and more fruits. I can do that on weekends when she is with me but on weekdays I have to rely on the babysitter and I hope she is doing what I told her to do. Hayley's recent boycott towards water from a bottle is not helping either. She will not drink as much as she used to from a bottle. She will drink when fed with a spoon. It makes the whole process much more tedious but I guess we don't have a choice. I even tried sippy cut but she will just play with the cup.

Today she poo-ed in the evening and the stool was hard. She cried and clung on to me like a koala bear. How long more should I let her try out this formula before changing it to something else? I really don't like to change her formula unless if I really have to and the babysitter is already pestering me to try something else.

4 comments:

Busy Bee said...

Oh dear, hope Hayley gets better soon.

The other thing you can also try is to give her honey. Helps with the stools.

Else you may need to change the milk if this continues ...

Kiasu Mom said...

Honey? Can babies take honey?

Yeah I am going to let her try for 1 week and see how it goes. This weekend going to stuff her with veges and fruits and see if it helps.

Unknown said...

I think Hayley has passed the stage where honey should be safe consumption. Try to give her more fruit juices if she's refusing water. You might also want to switch her from the vanilla flavour to the original flavour of EnfaGrow. The vanilla flavour is super, super, super sweet and even leaves the smell on the milk bottles and teats!

Kiasu Mom said...

Penny,

I didn't know there is an original flavour. When I bought it from the shop, I could only see Vanilla and Chocolate. Didn't see anything else.

Anyway, the constipation lasted 2 days. Now she poo 2 or 3 times a day (small amount each time), still hard stool but not as hard as before (at least now she doesnt cry). Dont know if this is a good thing.