Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I cry with you

Did you see the photo on the front page of The Star today?

I couldn't help but cried when I saw the photo and read the description about the 3 little Palestinian babies that got killed. They were innocent little babies! My heart goes out to the parents and may the 3 little ones rest in peace.

Ever since I became a mom, I find myself more emotional especially when I read news that concerns babies or little kids. Is it as if I can relate to the parents, I can understand their feelings and I can imagine myself being in their shoes. Words just can't describe how I feel.

Before I became a mom, I do feel very sad when I read horrible news about babies or kids but the feeling is so different now - my heart cringed and it hurts.

I can remember very clearly 2 other stories that made me cry on the spot:

1. The one about the 3 months old baby who survived the Sichuan earthquake where the mother shielded her and continued to breatfeed her until she passed away. She even left a message on the mobile phone for her baby. Hayley was also 3 months at that time, same age as the baby and I was breastfeeding too. I was devastated. I cried uncontrollably. I knew if I were in her shoes, I would do just the same. As I was typing this, you won't believe that I actually have tears in my eyes.

2. A story I saw on Oprah about a mother who had to make the ultimate decision to save her baby's life by amputating both his legs. The baby's legs were amputated below the knee when he was 1.5 months old and she worried for his future. Thankfully, the boy who is now 10 years old is actively running and doing sports using prosthetics :-)

Both the stories above leave a deep mark within me. There are many others but these 2 always reminded me to love Hayley unconditionally everyday and be thankful that she is healthy, happy and is always with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I felt the same way when I saw the headlines yesterday. And I can relate when you say since becoming a mom you've become more emotional about issues surrounding children. I think it's the maternal instincts in us.

Kiasu Mom said...

Penny, yeah I guess it is.. It is something that I need to learn to overcome.

Busy Bee said...

I missed the papers yesterday, else I would have sobbed uncontrolably! As it is now, seeing Ryan also made me emotional. Gosh, this pregnancy hormones are just wrecking havoc to my system!

Kiasu Mom said...

Busy Bee, thank God you missed it. Don't wanna see a pregnant woman cry :-)