Monday, November 28, 2011

Zac's update: 12+ months

At 12+ months, I:
  • occasionally can stand unsupported, if I am forced to walk or stand, I will do it on tip-toe,
  • can finally crawl on 4, can crawl pretty fast too
  • have 6 teeth, 4 lower, 2 upper
  • can say a couple of words: papa, mum mum, tar tar
  • am very expressive, will show different facial expressions for different situations - when mummy scold me I will pretend to cry (tearless), when ceh ceh snatch my toys I will wail and yell, when I want to be carried I will make a lot of noise until someone come to my rescue (mummy said I am very predictable)
  • still have the swelling on my left cheek, same old same old


Had my 1 year old jab on 2nd Nov. Met with Dr Choy who has been my paeditrician since I was born. This is the first time Dr Choy has seen my swelling (mummy did not consult him in the past because mummy thought he won't know) and Dr Choy gave mummy a pretty interesting diagnostic. Dr Choy said what I have looks like a type of 'Infantile Hemangioma' - swelling with slight bluish discoloration on the skin and warm to touch. He said he has seen several cases like these before and so far he is the only doctor who was able to give mummy a name of the condition I am having.

Dr Choy said what I have looks pretty mild and hopefully it remains at this size if it won't go away on its own (still too early to tell). He said there are several types of treatment:
  1. Laser which he does not encourage based on the size of the growth as well as my age
  2. Taking a type of high blood pressure medication in a controlled manner to thin the blood and hopefully unclog the blood veins. This I can try if mummy wants to. It is quite safe.
  3. An operation which he strongly discourage as he said what I have is actually swelling at the blood veins and any surgery might cause heavy blood loss.
He advised mummy and papa to monitor for a few more months or maybe a year as he said some will will go away on its own in a few years. Some might remain but looking at the size of my growth, he said it looks pretty ok, not that disfiguring. He did however advised us to be cautious as not to cut my cheek and injure the blood veins.

As the swelling is not as obvious as it used to be, mummy and papa decided to let it be and continue to monitor.

2 comments:

Leona said...

U must be so so relieved after seeing Dr Choy...and hearing what he had to say.Indeed you probably made a wise decision in waiting...as Zac is still young. And fr the pics...can't really see the swell...

Kiasu Mom said...

Indeed I am :). Definitely will wait. Don't want him to go
through any unnecessary pain unless life threatening. Also not keen to feed him with those meds.