Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reni the maid

Reni is my Indon maid, she started with us yesterday. After months of waiting, from Filipino to Cambodian and in the end it was an Indon maid. Will tell you more about the journey of how I ended up with an Indon maid later (long story :-))

Today's post is about Reni. My first impression is "yier... why so black and so plump one". She has very dark skin, like Indian and is very plump. All sorts of questions came through my mind, what if she climb the chair to wipe the fan and the chair could not hold her weight? can she fit into my tiny toilet? will she eat a lot?

Reni is not one of those typical maid which I usually hear a lot about. This is her first time to Malaysia and her first job as a maid. She attends school up to 18 years old (she claimed). She can read and write in Bahasa Indonesia (I gave her a few Bahasa words to read and she managed to read them correctly). She has 6 siblings and she is the eldest. She is separated from her husband and has a 2.5 year old son. She said she is 25. I got all these infor from her, whether they are true or not I cannot verify. When I checked her passport, she is actually 24 so it's ok, she didn't lie too much about her age.

I think she didn't come from a very poor family. She knows how to use rice cooker, iron and said her father owns a handphone. I am nervous when I found out about all these. This means that my maid is pretty smart, don't need me to teach her step by step on how to do the housework or use most of the electrical appliances but it also means that she's pretty exposed and would probably be cunning and cheeky. Sigh... pros and cons.

Anyway, she is supposed to help me with the housework, cook and watch over the kids when I am not around. I am still uncomfortable leaving her with the kids alone for now. Motherly instinct so I am going to trust it. She does things pretty quickly, she woke up at 6am this morning and when I got up at 7.30am she is almost done with the house work; sweep, mop, wipe etc and even wipe clean both the cars. A closer inspection revealed that her work is pretty sloppy, there are still dirt marks on the cars, the toilet is not brush clean properly etc. She is also the type who needs people to constantly remind her to do this and that. Once she is done with what we've asked her, she will sit there and do nothing. She's not the auto type who will go around the house to look for things to wipe/clean. She also does not look like one who adores kids.

On her first day, she even asked me if I would allow her to watch TV if she is done with her work and I am not at home. And today, she asked me if she can go for an hour nap (she's napping now). She dare to ask these when I am home, what would she do if I am not home?

I am also beginning to feel uncomfortable having a stranger around. I hope this feeling would go away after a few days, after I got accustomed to it.

Sigh.. got maid also got issues, no maid also got issues.. how la like that???

6 comments:

Alice said...

you can't live with them and can't live without them! hehe.....that's the issue you need to face when getting an indon maid. For me, I don't trust them to leave my child with :P Not to frighten you but if there's someone else at home should be fine gua....eg. ur mom or ....

scarediechickenme said...

Pity you....just observe her for a few more weeks and see how's it goes.
THinking about hiring a maid too but the thought about having a stranger in my house make me feel very uneasy.

So, good luck ya!

Unknown said...

i guess leaving maid with kids alone is never a good idea unless for a short while. But, for a shopping trip, it's a no-no especially no one at home. Installed a CCTV is a wise choice. Well, it seemed you got to get use of having a maid at home. Once she is getting used to your family, hopefully, it helps ease your work so that you can have your "my own personal time" and quality children's time. My family, without a maid, they will be too much to do. My mom experienced it for a solid three months until the Filipino maid arrived on board recently. I had no relationships with this 3rd maid as she did not do any of my things....so no connection unlike the 1st maid, we are like friends because she did all my laundry and ironing with no complaints and so willingly and even request me to bring her to my home to clean the house for me. All I do is to bride her with story books:-) She loves reading and I constantly bought her books once she finished a book. Hmm, i kind of miss her....all my friends said my family 1st maid very good in PR and very friendly....she also got lots of angpow during CNY. Guess how your maid perform her people relationships will determine her collection of $$ on the coming two months CNY. But, with a maid around, now you can go out with your two kids with her around to help out....kind of good actually. Now you have home cook Indonesian food???

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, what you said is so true. Can't live with them, can't live without them either. I just hope when my kids are older (2 years later), I won't need another maid. So now I just SABAR until then :-)

MY husband works from home but he occasionally needs to go out too. SO what we will do is install CCTV and then I monitor when he's away for those few hours. Plus our neighbour is a good friend and we can always leave our key with the neighbour and get them to go to the rescue if needs be.

Wabbifoot, I was initially like you. Thinking whether we should really get one. But to be honest, with 2 kids, and having to work and manage a house is no easy task. I look like a skeleton and we finally decided that we need to get some help around the house.

Jessie, at the moment she seems quite ok. I always remind her that I dont give second chances, I will put her in jail if I catch her doing anything wrong or I will kick her out of the house and let her sleep on the streets etc. She also said that we treat her well, gave her what she wants to eat, gave her vege, fish, meat etc.. A lot of her friends (she said) only get to eat porridge and have to iron everything including underwear. I find that very barbaric and told her I am not like that but in return she must treat us well. Hopefully she understands!

Reanaclaire said...

Sounds like pro and cons..there is no perfect maid.. as long as she is not crazy, doesnt abuse your kids, not itchy hands, not "seductive".. then the rest of the problems can be overlooked.. :)

Random Ramblings.. said...

Kiasumom! Pls, pls trust ur motherly instinct! Never ever leave the kids alone with maid if can be. Good decision to install CCTV! My maid was frm a poor family background, know nothing but very smart!! If I am awake the same time as she is, she would take 2 hours to complete her tasks which she could in 30-40mins when she's alone. Yes, I'm employer from hell, will at times wake up earlier than she is to spot check her. If can, don't let them nap cos they will think it is their right? Mine gave me black face when she didn't get her usual naps. But since I lay all my rules on d very 1st day, told her it is a bonus when she had one..which she takes every weekday (I sent her to my in-law's place together with my child).. Anyways, you r right. We need them to have more personal time with the kids and family.