Saturday, November 19, 2011

Peer pressure

I am feeling the pressure.

Most of my friends have started sending their kids who are about the same age as Hayley to piano classes, ballet classes, music classes, arts classes, swimming lessons and whatever classes you can find out there and they asked me if I have or if I am going to send my girl to any.

My girl is turning 4 in Feb and the pressure is intensifying. One part of me wanted to send her to these classes so she's on par with the other kids her age, spend less time in front of the TV and teaches her about discipline and responsibilities but the other part of me is asking ME a lot of questions. Does she really need these classes at such young age? Why do I want to give in to these peer pressures and get my already hectic weekend even more hectic having to chauffeur her between classes? Will she be less smart, less cool or less intelligent if she is not attending any of these classes? I don't have the answers.

I guess there is no harm in keeping her occupied with something she is keen on rather than have her at home with her eyes glued to the tv all the time. But at 3+, what would suit her? I've tried to observe her to see if she's good at anything specific so I can continue to hone those skills but the only thing she is good at from my observation is 'talking'! She can really talk and makes you shake your head in disbelief all the time!

I asked her a couple of times if she wants to learn piano, she said yes. Then I asked her if she wants to learn dancing and she said yes. I asked her again if she wants swimming, she said she can swim. I asked her again to pick a favourite and she said 'mmm... I want dancing, I want piano, I want swimming'. How la like that?! Oh her teachers did say she love to dance. Of course she love to dance, she's my kid, got my genes la! :-)

So I tried to list down a couple of the most common ones:-
  1. Ballet? Nah, she's too boyish for that. Ballet needs poise and discipline and she's got none of those.
  2. Piano? This is a maybe but definitely not now. We are hoping to bring papa's piano out from hometown and when the piano is here (whenever that will be), then we can consider this.
  3. Arts? She's still too playful for things that requires focus and attention. The teacher mentioned to me during the report card day that she has improved a lot overall but it is still quite tough to get her to finish something that requires concentration and focus. She gets distracted easily as always and you really need to sit next to her and instruct her to finish what she started.
  4. Dancing? Hip hop or breakdance might suit her but what's the benefit? She often dances in front of the TV at home anyway.
  5. Swimming? That's an idea but where can I find swimming schools? Both papa and I can't swim so we need her to know how to swim :-)

What did you all plan out for your kids? What would you recommend for a an active talkative kid like mine? Care to share with me?

7 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

At 4, my girl didnt do anything much, attended JMC, and some piano classes, after that gave up. When she turns primary, I only notice she prefers dancing, too bad, that time too late to send already... but I would recommend swimming and art class.. cos primary needs a lot of drawing.. i regret not sending my girl for art class and this subject always pull her marks down.. :)

Alice Law said...

If Hayley interested in Art, can try to send her. The attention span thingy take times to cultivate, so far I knw Art and music are very good in promoting those(My own experience and thru some reading).

Btw, the nearest Swimming pool is Bukit Jalil Aquatic Centre(pool 2 for public), weekday admission per adult RM4, kids RM3; Weekends RM5, kids RM 4. I bet they hv trainers.

Alice Law said...

Back with Bukit Jalil Swimming Schedule: http://www.stadium.gov.my/b.melayu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=173&Itemid=116

Alice said...

Bah!!!!...for those kiasu lessons...hehehe....I think children should enjoy themselves and enjoy their childhood instead of pushing them into these classes. If she shows any interest in one, then you can enrol her. Otherwise, let her enjoy herself first ho

Anonymous said...

I think music and art is okay. Cause it's fun! My fren whom is a piano teacher said not necessary to send for piano class at such young age. JMC is good thou..

My boys been attending art and music class. And he heart it after attending for 2months. It keeps hi, occupied rather than glued to tv, and he actually benefit from it as now be enjoy drawing and he can keep himself occupied with just paper and pen anytime anywhere.

ChloeRuoyi said...

My Chloe is already 5+ and she doesn't attention any of these classes too. I feel exactly what you are feeling and I put the blame back on her... asked her if she wants to learn piano, don't want. Ballet, don't want. Art, don't want. She says no to everything and made me feel bad in the end :( At least Hayley says yes to everything you suggest so it's one less headache for you :)

ChloeRuoyi said...

Sorry, typo... *attend (not attention)