Friday, December 9, 2011

Another hair pulling moment

Since last week I have been tortured emotionally and mentally by my 3 year old girl. SHE REFUSED TO EAT!

It has been almost a week now and she still refused to eat. This is what I am going through everyday:

Morning (8am) - made her a bottle of milk, usually 7oz and she will finish half only

Breakfast (10 ish) - refused to eat anything

Lunch (1pm) - when we're preparing rice she will say she already had her food and she's not hungry. We'll force her to eat the food and she will sulk and pretend to vomit and will insist that we give her small spoons only otherwise she will throw up (small as in 1/3 of a teaspoon!). We'll struggle to make her finish about half a bowl of rice. Sometimes we just give up after a few spoons cause she will start crying, and we'll start losing our temper etc.

Tea (3pm) - another bottle of milk, sometimes she won't finish

Dinner (6pm) - similar struggle as per lunch

Last milk feed (9pm) - she usually will fnish this one but sometimes insist that we make her just half a bottle.

I am really upset. Why did she suddenly become like this? She used to love her milk and will eat whatever we eat. What makes her change so suddenly? It will be easier if we give her junk food as in ice cream, chocolate, McDonalds etc. She will take them with no problems.

I've de-wormed her 2 weeks ago, will the de-worm cause loss of appetite? It doesn't look like it cause she will finish the entire ice cream so her appetite is definitely there, just that she's selective of what she wants to eat. I brought her to the doctor cause I was really worried and he said de-worming will not usually cause loss of appetite but he said it could still be a possibility.

The doctor also asked if there was anything else that we've changed in her life in the last few weeks prior to this new 'phase'. The only other thing we did was that we've stopped sending her to the babysitter since Reni arrived. Could this have caused her to be emotionally upset and hence this horrible phase to get our attention?

I have tried talking to her, asking her what was wrong but all she said was 'I don't want big mouth' ie referring to small amount when we feed her. She did not tell me anything else.

I am going to lose my mind very soon. Should I just let her starve until she ask me for food????

What should I do?????? I am just worried that she will fall ill if this goes on.

3 comments:

scarediechickenme said...

I definitely understand your feeling. I'll be worried too if my son suddenly doesn't want food anymore. *Shudder*

This is just solely my opinion and I do hope it can be a little help to you.

1. Does she likes noodles? Well, if she dont want to eat rice, maybe you can cook her some noodles like mee suah, soba, pasta or spagetti. Try add some meat balls to make it not so plain. Or even a little bit of tomata sauce.

2. She likes bread? If she like bread then maybe you can buy those bread in bread shop. Although not very nutrious but it's better than she is not eating anything at all.

3. Before my son finish his meal, I'd ask him what he want after he finished. He will ask for yakult, kiwi, apples, ice cream or orange juice or even Vitamin C pastils. It worked and he will finish very fast.

4. Try to cook something different. That day I cooked him oat with mushroom soup and he have it with bread dipping into it. Hahaha...weird combination but he likes it.

Hope it helps.... :)

Kiasu Mom said...

Hi Wabbitfoot, thanks for your advise. I have actually tried everything but they won't work. She doesn't want noodles or bread etc. I did offer some reward when she's done with the meal but that didn't work as well. We even punished her for not eating and that didn't help too. I am just at my wits end here. Soft approach cannot, hard aproach also cannot. Just wondering if I should bring her to the doctor for a full check up just to make sure there is nothing wrong medically. Sigh.....

LittleLamb said...

If I were you, just leave it. She will eat when she is hungry. ALSO< do not give in to any snacks. Tell her, if she wants snacks, junk food, she has to eat food first. As usual, we will be worried. But kids will eat when they are hungry. It has happen to P before.