Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My minnie maid

My minnie maid has been volunteering everyday to:
  • wipe the dining table after dinner (doing a pretty good job too)

  • pushing back the chairs nicely

  • hanging her lil brother's socks/booties to dry. She will hang the papa's underwear if I am doing our laundry instead :-)

  • wiping the floor herself if she dropped food on the floor

  • rocking the lil brother to sleep if he's crying and we're busy

  • entertaining the lil brother if he wants to play but we're busy

  • when I am complaining that I have so much housework to do and don't have time to play with her, she will offer to help me (she will say it in a pitiful voice like she's pitying me :-))

Now I understand why some people said it is nice to have an older girl as they will be more willing to help around the house (when they are not in their devil mode). Maybe boys will too, I do not know for sure as I do not have an older boy to compare :-)

Now to the ugly side of her. Of late, my minnie maid also developed the habit of biting her nails (she bit for a while when she was 2 ish but has stopped for a pretty long time) and also the straws of her water bottle. She is using one of those Bros bottle with straw and I think I have changed her straws like 4 or 5 times in the last month since she started developing this habit. She will take her own sweet time to bite the straw bit by bit until they get so short that it will be difficult for her to suck. I've sat down and talked with her, threatened and even beat her hands (started with 1x on day 1, 2x on day 2 and I stopped at 5x on day 5)but of no use. I didn't catch her doing it at home and the babysitter said she didn't do it at her place either so I think she picked up all these and actually doing it in school. She told me one day that one of her friend (I forgot the name she mentioned) bit her straw too.

I finally told the headmistress and requested for her help as well as the teacher's to monitor this and to warn her if they catch her doing it in school. I hope it will stop soon as they ran out of straws at the stores and she's currently using her last one. I don't want to waste money buying more bottles as she already has 2 similar ones at home now. The funny part about her is if you ask her whether she bit her straws (knowing that I will beat her if she did), she will still admit and when I ask her to lift up her hand, she will obliged with very little resistance.... you say la!


see the tip! this is just the beginning

Apart from the biting habits, she's also very clumsy or I would think that she's too hasty. She will constantly trip and fall or ran too fast and fall and will often bang into things. She has so many bruises/blue blacks on both her legs that I have eventually lost count.

8 comments:

Leona said...

I definitely think it is the genes that girls are more helpful and tidy.Even Ally at this age shows more concern about neatness and helping me with work compared to Ryan.

Perhaps while getting Hayley to beat the habit...get those non-straw drinking bottles? Rubbermaid ones are sucking ones but with plastic straws..not d rubber ones. I think about RM11.90.

Reanaclaire said...

Yes, i always hear that first child being a girl will benefit the mother.. hahaha..

treasure memories said...

Guess what ... Jaden had the same water bottle! He had bitten "so many" straws that we had to change his bottle. We told him that he's no longer a baby and can use big boy bottle ... and he's so happy that he's a big boy.

treasure memories said...

btw ... what happened to your "real" maid?

Kiasu Mom said...

Hey Leona, I am hoping to find one that is BPA free and doesn't require her to touch the tip of the straw or the sucking part in order to drink. I've not checked out rubbermaid yet but I have been to a few places and didn't find one that suits. You know how dirty their hands can be la.. I also thought of getting her the non-straw type but I am still not sure if she can handle it yet. I need to train her at home and see if she's capable of not spilling.

Reanaclaire, so is your girl different from your boys?

Treasure Memories, when did you change his bottle? My real maid still no news :-(

Leona said...

La Gourmet has these stainless steel bottles where the plastic drinking part has a holder so d child will touch that in order to flip open the spout. Won't need to touch directly the mouth part.

Ermayum said...

if we train well we can get mickey maid as well hehe i mean i raise boy as boy but i want him to understand you must do your part jugak makan sendiri sendiri kemas, tolong sapu dapur etc nanti da besar dah kahwin boleh lah jadi husband mithali hehe

hayley when u bite your nail you makan dirt tau - maybe you need to make her see the dirt :)

Alice Law said...

Ohh... Hayley sweetie is indeed a handy girl, proud of her too!

Biting habit is definitely a pain at the butt! Mine too can't resist to bite, I didn't do much of reasoning with her, just changed her bottle to drinking bottle without any straw, muahahaa!