Tuesday, June 22, 2010

ZEE or ZAK

OK, what is the right way to pronounce the alphabet 'Z'?

In Barney and in most educational CDs, they pronounced it as 'zee'. But I know many Malaysians, in fact I remember being taught in school to pronounce it as 'zak'.

The reason why I am asking is because I taught Hayley the ABC song and she will pronounce it as 'zee' and all of a sudden in the last couple of days, she started pronouncing it as 'zak' and when I corrected her she got confused. Then I realised that the babysitter has been teaching her 'zak' all along... aiseh....

I find it hard to convince her Z is for zebra or zoo when it doesn't have the right phonic sound... every since she pronounced it as 'zak' and when I ask her what is Z for, she stumbled... whereas in the past, she will proudly tell me Z is for zebra.

So how now? Zee or Zak? Can some clever mommies out there please guide me?

6 comments:

Alice Law said...

No worries mommy, Barnie's kg is in America whilst nanny's kg is in M'sia(British english basic)! Oh yes, 'Zee' is for American and 'Zac'is normally pronounced by English.

I personally think it's ok either way, though I still prefer 'zee' (sound more 'class', kiahahaha). Hayley is a smart girl, she will pick up pretty fast(the correct way) once u consistently coach her on this, hey no pressure though!;)

Happy preggy again! Have a nice day!
p/s: I never teach Juan Alphabet nor numbers though, lol!

Pei Chyi said...

i don't know about the Zees or the Zacs yet but i can humour u about how a certain (large) percentage of Chinese pronounce it as Jee and Jac.

My FIL is calling my son Jac instead of Zac. *faints....

Leona said...

I guess its just like 'too-mah-toh' or 'toe-may-toe'..'poh-tay-toe' or 'poh-tar-toe'!

Reanaclaire said...

zee is american.. zak is british.. my days, i pronounce it as zak.. nowadays very american.. in fact "a car" is pronounced as "er car" my days, nowadays "aye car"... sigh..

Ermayum said...

bukan zak ke but bunyinya zeeee heheh that what my children kindie teaches them, just like E bunyinya iiiiiiii or U bunyinya yuuuu
heheh dont worry they wont get confused one - bahasa melayu E bunyinya e- as e in ekor hahaha

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, yeah I prefer Zee more too... it makes more sense to tell her it's for Zeeebra and Zooooo. As for teaching Hayley alphabets and numbers, I am a crappy mom, I don't really know what to teach her so I started with the simplest lor, ie ABCs and 123s :-)

Pei Chyi, I know that scenario. My friend used to name herself Gwendolyn and then decided to change it to something simpler cause her dad can't pronounce her name... hehehe. Funny man.

Leona, and yes that too! faint or not?

Reanaclaire, that's why I was confused too.. anyway, like all the mommies said earlier, she will know what is right and wrong later (hopefully lah).

Ermayum, some teachers will teachas zee some still as zak. I remember my teacher back in primary said it was zak.. itu la sebabnya I pun confused.