Wednesday, May 26, 2010

He finally quit smoking and I hope its for good

I just have to say that I am so proud of papa. Papa has been a smoker since he was a teenager. When we started dating, he promised me that he would reduce his ciggy intake and being the naive me, I believed every word. I know quitting is impossible for someone his age (with all the peer pressure) and therefore I didn't ask for the sky. I requested for him to cut down and I think the request is fair. I am a non smoker and I don't want to cut short my life because of 2nd hand smoke.

During the many years we were together, almost 13 years, papa's consumption of ciggy has been up and down. On days where I nagged constantly, he would reduce it to a few sticks but when I forgot to nag or got tired of nagging, he would increase it to 1 box a day or possibly more which I wouldn't know.

Although he is a smoker, he is responsible. He doesn't smoke in the house and he will smoke away from us. I warned him that he can never smoke in my face or near our baby and he obliged.

Papa has been very sick last week (he rarely fall sick and even if he did, it normally wouldn't be that bad) and finally took the determination to quit smoking. He hasn't smoked a stick (he told me so and I believed him) since last Friday. So he's been nicotine free for 6 days now. 21st May will be a memorable day. I am so so so proud of him. Nothing he do would make me happier, not even a diamond ring, than his decision to quit smoking. It's like the best gift he can give to me.
You see, I am quite sensitive towards cigarettes as I lost my dad to stroke. My dad smoked since he was a teenager too and he passed on at age 55. A very young age. He had heart and cholesterol problems since he was 40. The doctor warned him to stop smoking as they would make the condition worst but he wouldn't listen. Like most typical stubborn old man, everytime we nagged he would say that he knew a lot of people who didn't smoke or drink but yet died at a young age. He didn't quit and continued smoking until the day he went into coma and he finally couldn't smoke anymore.
I didn't want the same to happen to my own husband. He's like a reflection of my dad. Smoking since his teenage years. I am so worried for him and for us. But now I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. All I am hoping for is that this will be permanent.
Go Papa Go!

6 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

Congratulations to him... and keep it up! yes, difficult to stop and must have strong determination..

Alice Law said...

Congratulation! All the best to you and your husband!;)

Btw, thanks for your warm regards! Juan Juan has fully recovered since yesterday; Ah Xuan just discharged from the hospital, he is doing well now! Thanks you! I really appreciate it!:)

Please enjoy your weekend!

Ermayum said...

yeah hopefully for forever - hard to quit definetly so bettter dont start kan - though org yg smoke dekat luar or not near us but still talking to us in a long term have some effect also dear especially if any of the family members ada asthma ke - though not by direct smoke but the mingling with the smoker can stike an asthma attack jugak because smoker mouth kan bau all the nikotine semua - but yeah I hope yr hubby will be very strong it must be hard on him but yes that is better gift than any diamond ring gift kan :)
hope he is getting well also :)

Alice Law said...

Thanks for your concern, Xuan was admitted for Acute Gastroentritis( intestinal infection), still having diarrhea but has regained his 'charges' now! He has back to his usual energetic self, thanks GOD!

Please have a wonderful Sunday my friend!

Kiasu Mom said...

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I hope he will do this for us permanently too. I know its not easy and I am going to reward him with another baby... hahahaha.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.