Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Would you recommend a maid?

I received an email from a friend attached with 2 movie clips. The title of the email said 'beware if you have a maid at home, install CCTV'. I knew then what to expect from the movies. As I have a very weak heart, I was hesitant to watch the movies. I do not want to end up crying in the office. In the end, I watched it.

The 1st movie was taken in Singapore (it was labelled) and the maid was attending to a baby (probably 6 - 8 months of age). The baby was crying and the maid 'slammed' the baby onto the sofa and changing bed several times. The maid then handled the baby very roughly and lifted the baby up merely holding its tiny feet. I was disturbed. I held back tears.

Then I went on to watch the 2nd movie. This was less horrific as it involved a toddler. The little one would probably be about 1.5 - 2 years old. The maid threw him onto the sofa and repeatedly slap the face and head. The boy screamed for help but help never came.

I managed to hold back tears but couldn't help but wonder why would there be such 'ANIMALS' out there. These are young innocent babies and children. Even if they are not yours, you should not treat them like that. I just couldn't understand it. Ever since I became a mom, I am very emotional and get overly upset when I see or hear stories about babies or kids being ill treated. I told some of my friends not to send them to me. I do not wish to see it! Once I've seen or heard it, they disturbed me for days and sometimes weeks. I wish I am home now hugging and kissing my baby [sigh]

My hubby and I have been thinking if we should get a maid. As we are planning to have a 2nd child (not sure when), I desperately need a maid at home. I need someone to help with the cleaning and washing and also to look after the kids when I am at work. Hubby works from home but he too needs to be out for several hours (2 - 3) a day and those 2 - 3 hours of leaving the kids with the maid alone worries me. And we can't afford to send the kids to a babysitter and yet keep a maid at the same time. That would be too costly. But if we don't have a maid, how am I going to juggle 2 kids and housework and cleaning at the same time? I'm no superwoman :-(

My sis got a maid when she was pregnant with Caitlyn. So the maid has now worked for her for a year. My sis was lucky as her maid is fantastic. Caitlyn is very attached to her. If your kid is attached to the maid, you can probably rest assured that the maid treats her well :-). I don't think my sis can survive without a maid - imagine looking after 2 kids, washing and ironing for 4, cooking and cleaning a double storey terrace house with a dog! If I am going to have 2 kids, I would be in the same shoes MINUS the cooking and the dog :-).

So until we make up our mind if we want a maid, baby no 2 won't be coming so soon. Some friends suggested that I install CCTV at home. CCTV is just a one time cost, it means nothing. I ask them what if I saw the maid torturing the baby? It already happened and the damage is done. Although I caught her red handed, I cannot rewind and undo the damage she did to the baby. I am responsible for my baby and I cannot let things like this happen. Maybe I think too far and too much and too soon, but we all need to plan ahead right? :-)

And and... with my bad temper, I hope I won't end up hurting the maid (if she tortured my baby) and going to jail myself. No joke man...

2 comments:

Penny said...

I don't think I dare hire a maid these days although we do think it's a big time and chore saver. Maybe get those who don't stay in to just come and clean up the house.

Kiasu Mom said...

You're right, that would be most ideal. I've got a friend who managed to find an aunty (local) who will come in the morning and leave when she's home. That would be best!