Monday, December 1, 2008

Fever yet again... SIGH

Hayley had fever over the weekend. It started on Saturday with mild fever ranging from 37.5 - 37.8 but it got higher at night. As high as 38.4! I gave her some medication and she seems to get better after the medication but the fever would return after 4 to 5 hours.

On Sunday night (ie last night), her fever went up to 39.1! Shocking. This is the first time her fever went up that high. I am not sure if I should freak out and rush her to the doctor but she seems to be playing and eating like normal so I continued to give her the medicine every 5 hours and monitor her temp regularly (the ear thermometer is soooo good). She had fever about a month ago as well but it was mild and it went away in 2 days with only 2 dosage of the fever medicine. This time it seems to take a little longer.

The only difference I noticed about her this time is that she will stick to me like glue all the time and cry when she can't see me. She will be playing with the papa but the moment I sit near her, she will crawl towards me and sit next to me and continue to play. She also woke up more frequently in the night, crying and asked to be carried. I also tried to put wet towels on her forehead and reducing the room temperature but it doesn't seem to help. BTW, she dislike me putting cold towels on her forehead. She will pull the towel away or wriggle her head to break free. I also tried to use the Baby Cool Fever but she dislike it as well. Do you know of any other methods that works on a baby that you could share with me?

I was told this is normal as its parts and parcels of a baby growing up - scientifically: they are putting all sorts of things in their mouth and getting all sorts of germs which sometimes causes fever OR superstitiously: they are growing up and the bones are stretching which causes fever.

Does this happen to other babies out there too? Is this really normal? Or is there something wrong with Hayley and I should get her checked out?

I am just so tired and worried.

No comments: