Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Am I feeding her right?

Hayley is 6.965 kg at 7 months. She was 3.4kg when born and 6.65kg when she was 6 months old. She only gained about 300 grams in the last month. I was concerned but the ped said it is ok as long as she is eating well, happy and is alert (and she is!).

From birth till 6 months:
Hayley is exclusively on breast milk. At 6 months she was taking 6oz at every feed (3 hours interval) 5 times a day. We religiously feed her at every 3 hours (my baby sitter insist) even if she's not crying or showing any hungry signs and I just followed suit on weekends. She would normally finish all her milk with occasional wastage of about 1oz once in a while. She gets water in between feeds.

After 6 months:
I slowly introduced her to formula (Enfalac A+). Started with replacing the last feed with formula instead of breast milk. No issues so far. She is getting between 6oz - 8oz 5 times a day. Occasionally the baby sitter said she will ask for more (esp in the morning) after finishing the 6oz and she will then make her an additional 2oz formula. I have never experienced that on weekends when I look after her myself.

I also started introducing her to solids. I gave her Heinz First Rice Cereal once a day in the afternoon in between feeds. I also introduced pureed fruits and she tried green pear, apples, peaches and papayas. She get fruits once on weekdays (in the evening) and twice on weekends. I have also asked the baby sitter to give her cereals twice starting from today, maybe once in the afternoon and another in the evening. This I hope will help her to gain more weight. I am also keen to introduce her to vegetables. I know broccoli, carrot, sweet potato and spinach are good for her but when should I start? How do I start? I was told to puree them and mix them into her cereal to make it tastier, is that the right thing to do? and what about meat? When should I start making her chicken or fish porridge?

It is so difficult for a working mom to ensure that our baby gets enough nutritions from her food intake when we're not the one preparing them ourselves. What do other working moms out there do? Does your baby sitter prepare the pureed fruits for your baby or did you prepare it in advance and bring it to her? My baby sitter is a bit 'old schooled' and I am afraid of introducing new stuff to her. Initially she told me to wean Hayley from breast milk after 3 months but I insisted on going and I am happy I did. But after 7 months I am not that particular anymore and am happy to slowly wean her.

And what about jar food? Are they good and reliable? My friend in NY told me she fed her 'jumbo baby' organic jar food and they are as good as self prepared food and her baby is cute and huge.

No comments: