Monday, June 27, 2011

Hayley's 1st Report Card Day

We've had our first official meet the teachers day to discuss about Hayley's progress in school on 19th June at 9.30am. I have to say that papa and mummy were by far more anxious and excited than the 'star' of the day. We've preparing ourselves for words such as 'she's so active', 'she cannot sit still', 'she gets distracted easily' or worst 'can you please not send her to school anymore' hahahaha from the teachers.

Waiting for her turn to meet the teacher

This is her passport photo.. Look at how much she has grown!

Overall her results were pretty good. Lots of As with a few Bs on areas that I am sure we can work on. The meeting was short and the teacher didn't have much to say about her, no news is always good news :-). The principal even told us that she has 'settled down' a lot compared to when she first started. She can now sit in a group and learn in a group environment, something she cannot do when she first joined as she gets distracted very easily. The teacher and principal also adds that she's a very affectionate child, likes to hug the teachers and carer and is very bonded with them.

I also took the opportunity to provide my 2 cents to the teachers:

  1. I reminded the teachers that they should be careful with the words they used around the kids. My girl came back from school one day saying 'busy body' and when I asked her who used the word she told me teacher said she was busy body. Well this is not a bad word but I think the teachers sometimes will also need to be reminded to be more careful with their selection of words.

  2. I always wonder how the kids can/will line up and use the toilet before their snack time. My girl was in the bathroom one day and told me she wanted to pee standing (demonstrating to me like how a boy would pee). I ask her why she wants to pee like that. She told me teacher said she can pee like that. I know the teachers won't say she can pee like that but I am just wondering how she knows that boys will pee like that if she's not exposed to it in school????
Recently I've also been making her practise her writing as and when I can. I have to say that it is not easy to make her sit down and write as she does get distracted very easily. Here's her first attempt at writing her own name without me holding her hand or showing her the alphabets. She wrote this on her own with no help from me. This was her best attempt so far and deserved a star :-)Unfortunately, a few days later, she could still write her name but the alphabets were in different sizes, the spaces between the alphabets were different, the alphabets written in the wrong way ie from the right to the left etc... it was really messy! :-(

I really need to make her practise everyday to keep the momentum going. I wish I have more time especially on weekdays. If I could just dedicate 30 mins with her each day to practise writing, colouring or even some arts and crafts with her, I am sure she it will help her focus and concentrate better in school.

7 comments:

Alice Law said...

So Hayley is Sue Vin... lol, I asked my girl whether she knows Hayley she said she doesn't but in the other hand she always mention Sue Vin... silly me!>_<

Yalor, the kids normally Q to pee in the loo, my girl always complain it's troublesome since she has to wait for her turn, hehe!

I actually like her handwriting! Juan Juan till now still hv awful handwriting... ths evening whn she writing a whole page of 'O', her didi commented, " Many Many poop poop!!" Sei mou!=_=

Leona said...

Well done to Hayley!
I wished Ryan's school had report card day...at least I can know his performance in his class.
Yeah...agree with u la Amy...time...what time??? Time doesn't seem to exist sometimes...esp we only have two hands! haha!

Ermayum said...

ayoo teacher suruh pee standing adoiiiiii teacherrrrrr :)

well done Hayley :)

LittleLamb said...

wow...u r very strict mom. Busybody/nossy..i used this word a lot in front of my boy...and normally i use it in a joking way..like every one seems to be a busybody looking at the accident. the only word that i dont use is stup**. yeah in my son's school, its the care-taker that jaga the toilet and not the teacher. so everyone will be exposed to each other.

LittleLamb said...

oh...i m not sure if my boy saw girl peeing or not.. but i did have a look at their toilet..and everything is so mini.. so it is NOT impossible for a boy or girl to see each other ..

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, hahaha yes Hayley = Sue Vin. So what did Juan Juan say about Sue Vin? Sue Vin bully her ah? :-)

She will write nicely when she's in the mood otherwise it will be unreadable. SOmetimes she sengaja write wrongly to test me some more!

Leona, you and I same same la. Stressed, no time, want to be supermom but cannot... sigh.. kesian us.

Ermayum, I think she 'create' the answer la. I am sure teacher wont ask her to pee standing :-)

Littlelamb, no la, I dont think I am strict. I just wanted to remind the teachers to be cautious with their words. They are humans too and will sometimes not realise what they said. And kids at that age pick up words so quickly. I am ok for her to learn these words but at her age now she doesnt know when to use it correctly and sometimes she will say it to other kids and sound very rude.

Alice Law said...

My big vain pot will only tell me how others love her and sayang her....=_=

Paiseh. I didn't pay attention t wht she said, she probably say,"Sue Vin said hor..." tht's her fave quote, good at putting her words into ppl's mouth.