Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sick people at home

Hayley started it, she has got this marathon runny nose (been for weeks now) which eventually lead to cough. She has got serious cough, those where she will cough until she throw up! She even had nose bleed one time which scared the hell out of me. I have never seen so much blood coming out of her nose before and panicked and forgot to take photos. Ever since her runny nose started, she developed this nose picking habit. She kept telling me there are things in her nose - referring to those dried up mucus. Don't know if she picked up the habit from school or anywhere else. She will pick her nose whenever she's in bed or whenever we are not watching. This habit plus me constantly asking her to blow her nose must have injured or caused a rupture in the small veins in the lining of the nose. Anyway, I really don't want it to happen again so we are now trying hard to stop this habit of hers and hopefully her runny nose will go away soon. She started taking her med last Friday (1 week now) and will be finishing her med soon and the runny nose is still there (haiz). Looks like we might have to pay another visit to the paed and ask her for a stronger med that will work.

As for me, I somehow caught the runny nose bug from her which lead to cough and subsequently FEVER! On Wed I tried to self cure (trying to avoid taking medication since I am still breastfeeding) with panadols and sleep. It didn't work. On Thurs I was forced to see a doctor as I felt horrible (lethargic, hot, joints aching) plus I was worried that I might pass on the germs to Zac or papa if this prolonged. I was given 7 types of medication for flu, fever, cough, pain and inflammation. On Fri, I still felt lousy in the morning but subsequently felt better in the afternoon. I still have some cough but thankfully no more fever. At times like this I really wish the maid was here...maid oh maid... where are you????

Looks like what my sis said was true. She told me once my little kiddo starts going to school, she will get sick and she will bring back those germs and make the entire household sick. And everyone at home will take turns to fall sick. Looks like it is happening already.

Now I am trying hard to stay away from Zac and keep Hayley away from him as well, which of course is a very difficult thing to do. I also need to constantly remind papa to take his multivitamins and vit C to make sure he stays healthy.

Once Hayley gets better I am going to beef up her immune system. The paed advised me to give her fish oil, multivitamins, vit C and probiotics. She is currently taking fish oil, multivitamins and vit c. I need to find some good probiotics for her. Any good recommendation?

6 comments:

Ermayum said...

alaihai sian you get well soon babe and Hayley as well

Reanaclaire said...

This is where Mother's strength and comfort is needed by the sick in the house..
hope everyone gets well soon!

Leona said...

Hai...i too in d same boat as u...kids been sick for weeks! Sian lah~ I kept asking myself why always getting sick. Non stop. Anyway, i told myself probably i hardly give fruits to Ryan and Ally. So after all d coughs and phlegm subsides, must make a bi weekly visit to the fruit market and attempt to give them fruits high in Vit c everyday eg. strawberries, kiwi, papaya, mangoes, grapes.
Abt d supplements u mentioned...probiotics...there are a few choices for kids...sachet powder form ie Biolife, Prolactor...capsules/suspension, Kordels brand. If Hayley likes chewables (easier)...u can get from GNC. I give Ryan that. Nice tasting too.
Take care...

Pei Chyi said...

i think there's a virus going around...
My little Zack was sick from mid-feb..then passed to my hubby, then me...we just finally recovered!

2 weeks of coughing marathon in the house, can fight with ochestra liao!

get well soon Amy :)

mNhL said...

hope everyone gets well soon.

My son fell sick very frequently too after attending school. His pead advise to give him fresh fruits or fruit juice everyday to strengthen his immune system. Due to work and time constraint, we did not do it everyday.

Alice Law said...

Guess I have missed your post( my blog list is getting longer day after day...=_=)!

I wish you and Hayley have gone back to your healthy and usual self by now!

I actually don't think it's a good idea to increase the dosage of her drugs, instead you should get her work out more(occupy her with sports and outdoor activities). You can try to give her yogurt, a highly recommended probiotic!

All the best!