Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Inspired by a stranger

During lunch yesterday at the foodcourt in Mid Valley, I saw a lady breastfeeding her child. I know there are many mothers out there breastfeeding their child in public places etc. So why is this one so special that I have to mention it in my blog?

She inspired me. I just don't know how to explain the feeling but after seeing her, I suddenly felt that breastfeeding is not that difficult after all.

When I saw her yesterday, she was multitasking and made it look so easy, almost effortless! She was holding her son using her right arm, the boy (probably about 18 - 19 months old) was latching and she was eating with her left arm. While latching and eating, she happily chatted away with her hubby. She used a napkin to cover the breast and her son's face. My buddy who was having lunch with me (she has no experience in breastfeeding) said the same. She too could not help but look over into the lady's direction every few mins to admire her.

Firstly, I didn't know breastfeeding could be this easy. Maybe it was not but she surely made it look very easy. When I was breastfeeding Hayley, I encountered so many problems. I pulled through for 8 months only because I was determined to. If I was weaker, I would have given up after 1 month.

So what are we lack of? I would say INFORMATION, GUIDANCE and SUPPORT. Where can we find lactation consultants here in KL? Do we even have one? The hospital where I delivered Hayley just gave me a piece of paper with instructions on breastfeeding and I was sent to go. I didn't know who to ask or who to get help from. Even my mom told me to stop when I was crying cause my breasts were so engorged and I was in so much pain.

A friend who gave birth in Abu Dhabi told me they have lactation consultants in the government hospitals in Abu Dhabi whom they can walk in or call to get advise when they have breastfeeding issues. Who do we call here in KL?

A couple of months down the road after I started blogging, I bumped into Busybee's blog. Busybee is my idol when it comes to breastfeeding. I truly admire her. She breastfed her son for more than 2 years. Read her blog if you don't believe me :-). She shares tips occasionally on breastfeeding and through her blog I found out about breastfeeding talks etc. Although we have to pay to attend the talks, I wouldn't mind as I know it would be useful.

Anyway, back to this lady. After watching her for a couple of mins, I was all inspired to breastfeed my 2nd child successfully and I can't wait to have a 2nd child actually hahaha. I hope I too can do it as leisurely and stress free like she can.

2 comments:

Leona said...

Probably it is a 'calling' that the time is right for baby no.2 oredi... :)

I couldn't breastfeed Allyson at all. No milk. I too admire mothers who have so much milk to give.

Btw, tx for adding me to your bloglist. I have also added yours!

Kiasu Mom said...

Hey Leona, thanks for adding me too.

As for no 2, building my courage la. First one was rough for me. Moreover, need tips on how to get a boy! hahahah