Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hayley the Copycat

This is what babycentre have to say about a 20 month and week 2 toddler:

"He may not have the vocabulary to carry on a conversation just yet, but don't be surprised if your toddler starts to mimic your telephone style with his own toy phone. You may also catch him imitating the way you act behind the wheel of the car, preparing meals, or cleaning the house. This copycat behavior can be charming or potentially embarrassing. Pay extra attention to your own language and behavior, so you don't inadvertently teach him something you'd rather not see him do."

Hayley started the above much earlier, if not mistaken at around 18 months so I think it is true that girls do mature faster than boys.

I didn't realise it until one day when she threw her hanky onto the floor. I asked her to pick it up and she used her toes to try and pick up the hanky. She was definitely copying me as I often use my toes to pick up stuff on the floor when I am carrying her in my hand and lazy to bend down.

It is scary how quickly they can copy our actions and words at this stage. I guess as parents we have to be more cautious with our actions and words. We surely do not want to see her doing or saying anything embarassing at home and especially in public.

2 comments:

Leona said...

Yeah... kids are like sponges once they are around 2...
Agree with u... very scary coz sometimes we say and do so many things without realising it. Sometimes I just said some thing once.. and Ryan would be saying it all of a sudden one day.

Kiasu Mom said...

Once I accidently said the word 'SHIT' in the car and she copied me! Hubby stared at me and since then I refrain myself from repeating that word and hopefully she won't remember it... :-)