Sunday, June 28, 2009

Father's Day

Father's day this year coincidentally coincides with my FIL's birthday. So we organised lunch for the whole family. Father and mother in law had to drive out from kampung (about 2.5 hrs away) while sister in law and hubby drove up from Singapore. This was considered as our first complete family gathering this year since my eldest brother in law, wife and daughter were not present during CNY.

As my FIL was a simple man, very thrifty and humble, I didn't know what to buy for him. I ended up buying 2 Jean Perry memory pillows, one for FIL and the other for MIL as I didn't want MIL to feel left out. MIL initially hinted to hubby that we were bias for not doing anything on mother's day back in May so hopefully she will be happy to receive the same gift, evidence that we do love and care for both of them the same. Hopefully they both will be able to rest better at night with the pillows.

As for Hayley's papa, I didn't surprise him with any gifts this year. Instead I bought a shirt with the words 'I Love DAD' for Hayley to wear on this day and bought a card on Hayley's behalf. When hubby woke up in the morning, he was happy to see Hayley in the t-shirt holding a card. He still stresses until today that he dislike the pyjama I bought for Hayley here so hopefully this would even things out :-). Initially I wanted to treat him to a massage session after lunch but unfortunately it did not materialise as FIL and MIL stayed with us for a while after lunch and left around 5pm.

The lunch on that day was good (my friend owned the place and made all the arrangements for me) and we all enjoyed a delicious Secret Recipe chocolate chip with walnut cake as dessert (courtesy of my youngest BIL). Hayley had fun eating scallops and fish and playing with all her cousins.

As for my own father, I lost him to stroke in 2005. Father's day always brings back sweet memories of him but at the same time it brought back tears. I have not been able to celebrate Father's Day with him since 2005 but I am sure he is happy where ever he is now and he will always have a special place in our hearts.

No comments: