Thursday, February 9, 2012

Do you love me or not?

Recently my soon to be 4 year old girl is constantly asking everyone in the family especially me and the papa that question.

Is it common for the first child to behave this way when they have a younger sibling who is at the moment getting more attention from the parents? Is that a sign of insecurity or sibling rivalry? Are we not juggling our love correctly between the kids resulting in such a behaviour? Should I be alarm? What should I do?

Of late she is showing a lot of unacceptable behaviours which warrants some whacking (on top of the usual reasoning, explaining, scolding, warning and punishing) - running and playing in the middle of the road despite us telling her many times that it is dangerous (if you asked her what she did wrong, she can tell you that she cannot play on the road as there will be oncoming cars), throwing up food whenever she feels like it, most of the time with the excuse that it was too big a spoon and it made no difference if we're feeding her or she was feeding herself or if we're eating at home or eating out (sometimes we only give her half a teaspoon and she still said it was too big), not listening to what we say and intentionally not doing what we repeatedly asked her to and many more....

I know kids will be kids and we can't expect them to be perfect at all times but as a parent I believe we also need to teach them from young on what's dangerous and acceptable and what's not and we will use whatever method that works. Having read many blogs written by mothers who I look up to in parenting, I know whacking is not the best solution and I don't like doing it too but sometimes I just don't know what else to do or how else to send the message across to her. Whenever she misbehaves, I always start by reasoning and explaining and if she still repeats the same after a few times then I will move on to warning and scolding. If that didn't work it will be punishing (usually we'll make her stand at a corner by herself staring at the wall and she will cry and cry) and lastly we'll use the cane. No matter what methods were used, we always explain to her at the end of it why we did what we did to hopefully help her understand.

I am really at my wits end on how to handle this girl of mine at this stage. I hope this will only be temporary and she will learn to understand better as she gets older. Can anyone please tell me at what age things will start making sense to them?

I do constantly tell her I love her and her brother (trying to instill in her head that I love both the same no matter what) but everytime after an unhappy episode be it scolding or punishing or whacking or even a simple thing where I don't oblige what she wants then she will say that I don't love her and will wrap her arms around herself and show me that she is unhappy. She will only show me her happy face again when I say I love her.

Whenever I am home she will want me to do everything for her such as bathing her, feeding her, brushing teeth with her, making her milk, playing with her etc. She won't want the maid or the papa. It feels like she's trying to tell me she wants my attention and I am trying to give her my undivided attention as much as I can (which is very hard with a 1 year old around) and I hope every little effort I am putting in will make a difference.

Looking at her reactions, I also sometimes wonder if I actually caused this. You see, the maid helps me with Hayley when I am at work and on weekends and I don't usually let the maid handle Zac as I don't trust her with a toddler (she tends to be forgetful and careless). So I usually will bath, feed and attend to Zac myself on weekends while she helps me with Hayley. Before having the maid, I will attend to both myself. I am wondering if she's taking this negatively that I don't care for her anymore and leaving her to the maid? I wish I can just get into her head and understand what she's thinking.

I actually did think of this before and tried attending to both kids myself on weekends and was told off by some people that I should not do that now that I have a maid. I was constantly asked what's the point of having a maid if I still have to do everything myself? Anyway, from this weekend onwards I am going to brush aside what others have to say and try changing my approach and see if it will help.

Sigh.... with 2 kids I am already at wits end. I really salute parents with 3 or more kids and doing it wonderfully.

7 comments:

Alice Law said...

Hi Amy, don't be sorry or guilty. Kids won't be 'deng seng' until they reach 5-6 yo, even so, they will still keep challenging your nerves, lol!

Don't worry, my gal used to b the same, so I made a habit to tell her how much I love whnever I stare at her(along w hugs), and nvr miss it at night. At least she wld dump the question, and start telling u frm time to time, " I love u 2, mommy"

Wht other ppl said is only mean for reference, eventually u are the one make the final decision. Jst follow your heart! Take care Amy!

p/s: Trust me on ths, your gal has great quality tht makes everyone proud of her! Kids w character are knwn hard to handle!

Rose world said...

My eldest (girl) can be over emotional sometimes. Like you said, maybe because we put more attention to her younger brother.

So once a while I will have a time with her, hugging, kissing and talking to her when her brother not around. Just make her feel wanted, not neglected.

Adrine said...

I understand how u feel. I have experienced the same thing.

What I did was to tell my girl that there's different "times" during the day : there's "Elyssa-mummy time", "Baby-mummy time", "Elyssa-daddy time", "Baby-kakak time" etc etc.
Then I make sure I spend some time with her and when I do that, I keep telling her "see, it's Elyssa-mummy time now. nice or not". (I keep emphasising this during our 1:1 time together)

And then when I need to spend time with baby, I will tell her, "just now u had your Elyssa-mummy time, now it's baby-mummy time".

She accepts the concept of taking turns, so somehow it's easier for her to accept taking turns with mummy in this manner too.
And I also give her plenty of I luv u's, hugs and positive comments (about how she's such a GREAT jie jie) throughout the day.

Alice Law said...

Hallo, busy devouring the fiction books lor. U also notice hor, all my posts gave an impression tht I was in the rush, lol... tht's why I also less blogging liao, feel paiseh.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice

Myself, I had a maid before to help. But the maid soley just do household. We will do everything by ourselves(me and my hubby) concering the kids. Even when going out, I will carry my baby while my hubby take care of the elder one.

I have friends who ask why not let your maid take care and carry since she is around to help. But personally I enjoy carrying my kids and it is only during those times when they are still so young and tender that I can carry them. And the kids grow so fast and I want to enjoy those moments as much i can.

I find that doing little things for our kids are bounding times with them too; especially bathing them. I can often dig out alot of 'secrets' from my kids; abt what they have done in day time and talk sense to them. Because it is during the bathing time that they are more relaxed.

But, of course, it can be very very tiring. ;)

Kiasu Mom said...

Hi Alice,

Thank you for your advise and comforting words. I just hope I can survive and will remain in one piece until she turns 5/6 years old.. hahahaha

Hi Rose,

Thanks for dropping by. I've actually tried the method you suggested. I even ignored the brother and just concentrate on her and even that doesn't help. A little bit of scolding or warning or sounding from me will send her back to square one. Sigh...

Hi Adrine,

Thanks for dropping by. OK I'll try your suggestions. I am doubtful if it will work cause she won't even take turns playing toys with him but am going to try anyway. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for dropping by and if possible let me know your name at the very least :). Mine is Amy btw, not Alice :). Since last weekend I have tried what you mentioned. Maid solely for housework and help me with kids only when I really need her to. Otherwise I will handle them all by myself. It will indeed be tiring (no doubt) but if it helps I won't mind. As for going out, we don't bring the maid as well so we both handle the kids on our own too.

LittleLamb said...

I suggest that you set aside a special time just for u and her bonding and daddy n her bonding. This bonding session to be outside the house. Tell her it will be a weekly session n something she can look forward too. However if she misbehaves, then this session will not happen.