Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Introducing formula

For the very first time this morning we introduced formula (Mamex Gold) to Zac and thankfully he accepted it with no issues. Zac at 6 months and 3 weeks old still drinks 6 bottles of 6oz everyday and gets 1 or 2 solid meals (rice cereals) a day. My production of breast milk is getting low of late (not sure why, maybe because I was unwell or maybe because of work stress) so I have started using my reserves in the freezer to meet his demands. I initially wanted to wait a while but then decided in the end to introduce him to formula earlier just to be sure that he will be able to tolerate it and not wait until the last min (ie when I ran out of breast milk).

I just find it very weird how my body reacted the same for both my kids. Both kids were exclusively breastfed for 6+ months and then I just stopped producing as much I was able to produce before despite me eating and drinking and expressing the same. I remembered that I also started supplementing Hayley with formula when she was 6+ months. My sis said it was psychological cause I used to tell her that I will be happy if I can exclusively feed my kids for 6 months at least, or maybe it was natural that my body can only cope for so long, I don't know, maybe it was both.

Anyway, I hope I will be able to continue to feed Zac for a little while more, maybe until he reaches 8 months old. I have to say that I did save a lot in the last 6+ months :-)

5 comments:

Saw Leng, KOH said...

Amy, since it already reaches your 6 months goal, try breastfeeding as long as you can with no end target. Breastfeeding has lots of benefit to your boy and you ... especially against breast cancer.

Alice Law said...

All the best on breastfeed, it's recommended to feed him till 1 year old but ths is subjective.

Frankly, once you start introducing formula, your BM production will reduce too... you can try fanugreek and oatmeal, very good at boosting BM!:)

Alice Law said...

I found these sites quite useful:

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/increasing.shtml

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t027100.asp

http://increasebreastmilk.org/

Hope it helps, good luck!

Unknown said...

You are pumping milk? Do you breastfeed direct?

Kiasu Mom said...

Treasure Memories, yes I do aim to go for as long as I can. Just hope I don't keep losing weight.. now my clothes are all merely hanging on me you know.. hahaha

Alice, yes 1 year will be best. I'm trying very hard. Thanks also for the tips and the wonderful websites!

Lian, thanks for dropping by. I suck at latching (same for both kids) so I have to pump and feed from a bottle. Been doing so since he was a month old.