Friday, May 8, 2009

Muruku v Hayley

To my shocking horror, when I picked up Hayley from the babysitter yesterday evening, she was holding on to a piece of muruku, biting and sucking it! My God! A 14 month old eating muruku!

I was so shocked I didn't know what to say or how to react. I have told the babysitter many times not to introduce junk food or anything unhealthy to Hayley, especially not at such tender age. I wouldn't mind introducing them when she was 18 months or better still 24 months but definitely not at 14 months!

And what about choking? Muruku is pretty hard and with only 4 incisors teeth, no way she can chew that piece of thing. I am so so so upset. I have said what I needed to say, I have instructed enough but yet she still prefers to do things her way. And her argument is that we need to introduce varieties to toddlers else they will be picky eater and she said whenever she gave her food, she will watch her eat and make sure she doesn't choke. Harlo, have you not heard of ACCIDENTS?! sigh..

At that moment in time, I wish I was a SAHM so I can look after my little girl by myself. Feed her with only the healthiest stuff.

Don't get me wrong, the babysitter is a great person and she loves Hayley to bits and Hayley is very attached to her. I feel safe when sending Hayley to her in the morning and that assurance is very important to me. Although I do not agree to some of her old fashion babysitting culture, I have to admit that she's doing a good job overall. I guess it will be hard to find someone perfect so I will just have to close one eye on this and continue to nicely tell her not to feed my baby with junk food and hopefully one day she will come to her senses!

2 comments:

Penny said...

I can totally relate. It didn't happen exactly like that for me, but something similar with my previous babysitter. But I soon got over it, because he's already coming to 2 years old soon and I think a little junk food (very, very litte!) once in a blue moon shouldn't be too harmful. Perhaps you can just reinforce in a nice manner to your babysitter that you don't want Hayley eating them just yet. Btw, Happy Mother's Day to you Amy! :)

Kiasu Mom said...

Hey Penny, my little girl came down with fever on Sat afternoon and doctor said her throat was slightly infected. I so wanted to blame the Muruku. Anyway, have told the aunty not to feed her with junk food or fried stuff anymore. Hopefully she learnt her lesson this time, although the hard way!