Monday, February 22, 2010

Vocabulary of a 2 year old

Anyone knows what is the standard vocab of a 2 year old?

I have seen 2 year olds who can't communicate at all and still mumbles and rambles. I have seen 2 year olds who can communicate very well and gets the message across clearly. I know every kid will learn at their own pace but what is the standard for a 2 year old?

Mine has very good vocab, I think. She knows a lot of words (she knows most of the things we feed her by name) and can easily get her message across, to me at least :-). Occasionally the papa doesn't know what she is saying and I will convey the message. It is so weird that whatever words coming out from her mouth seems so clear to me and I just don't understand why the papa didn't get it. I guess that is a gift we mothers have :-)

Even my in laws said she is very smart for her age. They kept forgetting that she is only 2 years old because of the words she knows. She surprised them.

Here is a recent conversation between me and her:

Some fireworks in the background during her bedtime

Hayley: what sound?
Me: fireworks
Hayley: fireworks ah? Pretty hor... [after a while] scared.. [making the sad face]
Me: no need to be scared, it's far far away
Hayley: oh, far far away ah, fireworks go far far away
Me: yeah it's far far away so no need to be scared
Hayley: scared.. [still making the sad face]
Me: OK, mummy will beat fireworks ok. [pretending to beat the pillows] Shh... fireworks, keep quite. Hayley is sleeping. Don't be naughty, keep quiet and go away.
Hayley: Mummy beat fireworks hor. [she imitate me pretending to beat the fireworks with her hands] shoo.. go away fireworks. Naughty. Quiet [then there was silcence]. Fireworks no more oredi. Fireworks go far far oredi.
Me: yeah
Hayley: mummy, scared [making the sad face again]. Hold hand [reaching out her hand from the cot]

I held her hand until she feel asleep :-)

2 comments:

Leona said...

Hayley speaks very well for a just turned 2 yo todder...

Kiasu Mom said...

Hey Leona, yeah I think so too :-). She was very chatty even when she was younger.