Saturday, January 9, 2010

Maybe its time to consider migrating?

I don't usually write about stuff which relates to politics or ministers or the country on my blog. I find most of the things I read in the paper (the first few pages) to be brainless and childish so I didn't really bother. If an ordinary Malaysian like me can feel this way, I always wonder what Malaysia would be like to the eyes of foreigners?

But today, after all that has happened in the past few days, I am just so upset. I am an ordinary Malaysian who works hard everyday to make sure I am able to put food on the table and I have enough to buy milk for my little girl.

Her formula milk was previously (a year ago) at RM55 and today it was RM68. Gardenia which is another one of her favourite snack used to be RM2.10 and its now RM2.20. These are essential items people! An average income earner like me is struggling to keep up with all these price increase and I can't imagine what the poor would have to do to stay alive. While the ordinary Malaysians like me are worrying about the escalating costs, I am surprised that there are people who have nothing better to do but to spend time arguing about the use of a particular word, demonstrating and burning places of worship! Does it really matter who uses the word?

I used to be proud being a Malaysian. We are the only country I know that lives peacefully despite being multi racial. I don't think that is what I am feeling today.

I have never thought about migrating. I have friends who told me about their migrating plans for the betterment of their children's futures and I just listened without taking it to heart as deep down I am happy staying and working hard in Malaysia. My family and friends are all here, my home is here.

But after seeing all the things that has happened in the past few weeks, I guess the idea of migrating is not just for a better future for the kids, it is for the safety of the family and should be considered. If they can burn places of worship today, how can I be assured that they won't burn homes or schools tomorrow?

I wonder if things will change in the next 10 years, will it be better or will it be worst? Will Gardenia be RM4.10 in the next 5 years? Will a teh tarik cost RM2.10 then? High possibility. Will our salary be increased fast enough to keep up with all these escalating costs? you can go to bed early and dream....

With all that is happening, I am not even sure if I should have more children. Why bring him/her to this world to suffer?

Malaysians, why can't we just live in peace and harmony and use our strength to create a better country that benefits us all?

3 comments:

Leona said...

I totally agree with you 100% and feel exactly like you do.
That is why I totally stop reading the newspapers or watch the news on TV too. I rather be ignorant to the childish and ridiculous happenings that are occuring now than to listen and get all boiled up.
If you do have an opportunity to migrate, it would be definitely for the benefit of the children. I would jump on any opportunity to migrate but unfortunately, hubby is not a risk-taker and too 'uncle' to make a big move like that!!! :)

Ermayum said...

I am with you on the part of the baca surat khabar or watch the news and the rising prices of food- I really dont get it- sometime what they want to convey -some times they write as if they assume that we are really STUPID- when they make small things sound big then ignore the one problems that are so obvious -
anyway gardenia yg 2.20 g nipis dear - yg tebal is 3.40- got two versions now- i terperanjat beruk u know- go find it got two version - the other one about the same but thicker a bit and at 3.40

Kiasu Mom said...

Ladies, we typical Malaysians are all feeling the same. I am always wondering if there is anything we can do to change things? Really disappointed now.

Leona, my hubby also not a risk taker but if any suitable opportunity arises, I will not hesitate to consider.

Ermayum, I am still waiting for the findings on the purchase of the overpriced items mentioned few months back. But like all other cases, I think it will not get mentioned anymore. Swept under the carpet and the person guilty of it all is nicely enjoying his holiday somewhere expensive. As for Gardenia, got 2 versions now? Even last time they have 2 versions, the shorter and the longer. Is that not the case? I've never bought the longer one cause can't finish by the expiry date.