Sunday, January 24, 2010

Colourful lunch

Will you eat these?

Purple sweet potato with chinese spinach and chicken porridge

Pumpkin with Japanese spinach and pork porridge

These are some of the many porridge I prepared for Hayley for lunch on weekends. Occassionally I would like to prepare porridge in different colours just to see if she would eat them. Thankfully I have no problems with her so far and she will eat whatever porridge in whatever colour I prepared for her. Once I even cook porridge using red spinach and the porridge came out red and it looks really scary (even to me) but she ate it with no complains :-)
Apart from the above, my other regular ingredients are:
  • carrot
  • potato
  • broccoli
  • cherry tomato
  • fish
  • dried oysters or scallops (for flavouring)
  • small pak choy or whatever green leafy vegetable I can find in the fridge
  • peas

I am getting bored of using the above. Any other good and healthy suggestions?

4 comments:

Leona said...

what about pumpkin? or sweet potato?
Minced pork? Mushroom? U can try adding nori shredded. There is this mixture of nori, bonito flakes and sesame seeds that I got from the 100 yen shop... quite handy and tasty.

Leona said...

Opps.. i juz saw yur pictures that u added pumpkin and sweet potato. Soree! :P

Lynette said...

Try brocolli with minced pork... Taste very good the combination.
Sometimes I add dried apricot to porridge.. my kids love it..

Kiasu Mom said...

Hey Leona, I've never tried mushroom, sesame seeds etc. Never thought of it. Going to try that, thanks for the idea.

Hi Lynette, thanks for visiting my blog. I have never tried brocolli with just minced meat. I normally use 3 ingredients (min) in the porridge. So I am sure I have tried brocolli with minced meat and something else :-). But dried apricot is a good idea.. thanks again.