Sunday, August 23, 2009

Doing my bit for the environment

Lately, I have started getting rather serious in doing my bit for the environment. I am not talking about planting more trees or getting a hybrid car. I am not taking a giant leap, instead I am taking baby steps one at a time.

Here are some of the things I started doing. although nothing to shout about but I am sure every little bit will make a huge difference:

1. Using napkins on Hayley instead of disposable diapers on weekends. In the past, I can use up to 5 or 6 disposable diapers a day. Now, I use napkins in the day and only 1 disposable diaper at night. Well, 2 if we go out. I was not able to do this when she was younger as she was breastfed and would poo numerous times a day - they get messy and tough to wash. Over time I got used to the comfort of using disposables. Now, I am back to napkins. I was hoping that she can go on napkins everyday but unfortunately I could not convince the babysitter to do the same (her reasons are she live in a condo and has no place to hang the napkins and she has no time to wash them).

2. Sorting my garbage. I keep the aluminium cans, plastic bottles and papers separate from my other rubbish. I would try to drop them into the recycling boxes (above) at the malls and if I can't, I would make sure they are bundled properly for garbage collectors to pick them up. I have seen these guys sorting the recyclable items before throwing it into the garbage truck.

3. Reducing the use of plastic bags. Although I am not bringing my own bag when I do my grocery shopping, I will make sure I use as little plastic bags as possible. And the plastic bags I brought home would be recycled as my garbage bags. So they are put to good use.

I am a busy mom who needs to manage my career, baby, husband and my home. If I can make a difference by contributing whatever I can, I am sure you can all do it too. Let us do our bit for a better, greener and healthier future for our kids!

No comments: