Friday, January 21, 2011

Hair pulling day

Today is one of those days where Hayley drove papa and I up the wall, the entire day. I've always blogged about her being picky with food, not wanting to eat, being difficult during meal times and today is the day where she displayed all of the above to the max. I would like to share this with all the mummies out there who may be reading my blog and I would certainly like to hear from any of you if I have done anything wrong or if there is a way that I could have done better.

She woke up at 8am this morning and refused milk. Thinking that she may not be hungry 'yet' or probably she didn't have appetite as she's been having runny nose for a week now I thought I would let her be for about 30 mins before asking her again. For the past few days it has been difficult trying to get her to finish a bottle of milk before school. 30 mins later I asked her again and she insisted that she didn't want and said that she was not hungry. She asked me for a slice of cheese. I gave her the cheese and after a few mouths she said it was 'too big' and she couldn't finish it. She has this habit of breaking up some of the cheese into small pieces and then eating only the really tiny ones and kept the big pieces where she would stack them up and eat them real slowly later. I insisted that she finished the cheese and it took her almost 30 mins to finish the small slice of cheese. I also offered her hot dog bun and she took a bite and said she didn't want anymore. I offered her biscuits and milk again about 15 mins later which she refused.

We served her lunch at 12.30pm (soup, fish and egg, ie things she will eat) and I gave her a portion which I think is small for her age but because she didn't seem to have the appetite, I didn't want to force her to eat up a huge portion and risk her throwing up (another bad habit of hers). Half way through the meal she spilled the soup on the table and I smacked her hand once cause I have warned her not to touch the hot soup. She cried, coughed and then threw up a portion of the food. I sent her to the corner. She sat there crying for like 30 mins.

After all the crying, we sent her to nap and she asked for milk. We gave her a bottle of milk. She woke up 2 hours later and for tea time she asked for another slice of cheese. She got her cheese and I offered her biscuits, buns, fruits and yogurt. She wanted yogurt. Gave her the yogurt and after 2 or 3 spoons, she didn't want it. A slice of cheese is all she had for tea time.

We had dinner at 7pm and half way through she complained that there were fish in her mouth and she didn't want fish and spat out whatever is in her mouth. We warned her never to do that again. After a couple more mouths, she again complained about fish in her mouth and spat out another time. This time we raised our voice (we didn't hit her at all) and she began crying and coughing and was about to throw up. We gave her 2 options, either to finish her meal or go to the corner. She said she didn't want to go to the corner but she wasn't touching her food either. After about 5 mins (she wasn't eating) I sent her to the corner. She only had half the bowl of rice. She stood at the corner for about 30 mins, crying.

Before sending her to bed at 9pm, we asked if she would like some milk and she said 'yes, but small small bottle only' indicating that she only wanted a small portion. We made the usual portion and she complained about 'powder' in her milk (lately she often complained that she could taste powder in her milk and would like us to take it out and we have to pretend to go to the kitchen and pour some out to make her happy!) and she finished it and went off to bed.

So for the entire day my almost 3 year old had 1 bowl of rice, 2 bottles of 6oz milk, 2 slices of cheese, a couple spoons of yogurt and 1 bite of the hot dog bun. So what do you think? Can any of you shed some light before we both lose all our hair?

7 comments:

Montessorimum said...

I used to fret on stuffs like this , keeping a detail diary on what the kids had eaten and worry sick that they don't get enough. But after years and now a mother of four, I can say, don't worry. If the kids is hungry, they will eat. Even we adults had days that we don't feel like eating much.

Alice Law said...

You mentioned that she has had a bad flu right?! According to my experience, my kids too won't drink nor eat much when they have a runny and blocked nose. Imagine everything seems tasteless and it's really suffocating to suck through a bottle when we hardly breath.

I agreed with Montessorimum, when kids are hungry, they'll eat and same goes to when they are happy, they eat more! When they are unwell, they don't eat as their usual self!

Nowadays kids tend to be picky since they don't need to worry about going hungry, even if they don't take proper meal they still can have snacks.

Normally, my kids would just nimble a few bites of bread/ biscuits and take only a few spoons of staple meals while playing and messing around. I don't force them to eat as I can't take it if people forced me to take something I don't like. If they missed they meal, sorry... they just have to go hungry! (I had even starve Juan for half a day since she refused to take anything, but the next day she'll gobble down whatever I offer) ;D

p/s: You normally saw my kids eat well in my posts right, that because I only took the angelic side of them.;p

Take care and all the best! Hopefully Hayley will feel better by now!^-^

Kiasu Mom said...

MOntessorimum, thanks for your comforting words. I know I should not fret but he habit of throwing up is really scaring me. Its like a way of protest whenever she didnt want to eat.. sigh.

Alice, I have starved for her 1 day (she only got 3 bottles of milk) and even that she wasn't scared at all and she didn't even ask me for food. Maybe I should not even give her milk and see how it goes. And yes she is still having a bad flu and because of that I didn't give her a lot but enough to keep her energized and get well. How I wish there will be a better solution to all these eating problems..

mNhL said...

I actually agreed with Montessorimum. I used to get too worried when the kids does not eat. But now, not anymore. As long as they drink their milk and eat snacks......Since your girl is not feeling well, she might lost her appetite. Forcing and getting angry won't help. When she is better, am sure she will asked you to cook her favourtie food. Hang on there.

Leona said...

Hi, its been a few days since that episode.
Has Hayley got back her appetite???

I know what u mean. I too get very frazzled whenever my kids refuse food and don't eat properly for that day. I have learnt to be less stressed abt it with No.2.

Anonymous said...

Just like you and all the other mummies, we just get so stressed out when i feel our kiddo not eeating enuf. But it's true, their appetite can be at xtremely low somedays.

So i have also learn to just take cues from my kids. THey will really eat when they are hungry. She is not well, could be just no appetite. perhaps just give her more fluids to keep her hydrated when she not well.
Some days my boys survive on only 1 meal and 2-3bottles of milk....
So dun worry too much ok.. Give her lots of hugs.. i think culd be she hunger for atttention. since now she has to share with her younger bro..

Kiasu Mom said...

mNhl, I am waiting and hoping for the day she will ask the papa to cook her favourite food. So far nothing yet :-(

Leona, she's getting slightly better although still not back to her old self. The weird part of all this is that when I ask the bbsitter how she's doing there and she said ok. I wonder if she's just bullying us at home or the aunty is lying to us or the aunty just feed her whenever she wants hence ruining the proper meal routine. I hope I will not be like this with No 2 else I really can go crazy dealing with 2 difficult kids.. haha

lyncpf513, sometimes I dunno if taking cue from them is a good idea. I was just trying to ensure she has proper meals routine, breakfast, lunch and dinner instead of eating whenever she feels like it. I don't know if that's call 'spoiling' her or that is what all parents have to do to their kids at such a young age. pening pening...