Thursday, September 9, 2010

Shh... Quiet!

When papa and I used to chat in the car with the rascal around she will often interrupt us by talking loudly or calling me or doing all sorts of things/noises to attract my attention. She started doing those nuisances since she was much younger. Whenever she does that, I will tell her to "shh.... quiet, mummy and papa talking, you cannot interrupt, that is very rude".

After saying the same things to her a couple of times, she started picking up the first two words ie "shhh.... quiet" since young. Sometimes she will say it in a soft manner, sometimes demanding.

She will sometimes use those 2 words on me when she did something naughty and I scolded her. She will sometimes use those 2 words on me when papa and I were talking in the car trying to stop us from talking and she also uses those 2 words on me sometimes even when the situation does not require her to ie saying it for a situation that does not fit.

Today, the babysitter confronted me. She asked if we (papa and me) talk very loud at home and if we argue a lot. I told her we definitely do not argue much and we don't talk very loud at home except when we're scolding the rascal or calling for her when she run to the kitchen or to other rooms etc. The babysitter then adds that rascal got affected by us talking loudly or arguing loudly. She said they don't talk loudly at home so she must have got affected by us. That got me scratching my head, what the heck is she talking about?

Then she said yesterday while in the car, obviously her husband and her were taking rascal somewhere and they were chatting and rascal used the 2 words on her. She said it was the first time she heard it although we've heard it many many months ago. I told her not worry about it as rascal was probably just copying us and I constantly reminded her not to say those words whenever she uses it and I told the babysitter to do the same if she heard it again. The fact that she only heard it for the first time yesterday was solid proof that rascal was using the 2 words lesser than before.

The babysitter then adds again that we have to be careful with our actions and words as we will affect or scar a child badly. It will be worst when they reach 8 or 9 years old. I know she meant well but sometimes I think it is not necessary to be overly worried. Kids will be kids and they will pick up all the good and bad. As parents, of course we try our best to set the best examples but we're humans, we make mistakes too and sometimes even we don't notice when we did.

As long as our conscience is clear, I think we should not worry too much and enjoy parenthood.

6 comments:

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

Emmm... I agree with you. We parents are also humans. As much as we want to set good example to our kids, sometimes we tend to miss out on things like this. We can try our best tho. And sometimes, it might be good to expose them to bad stuffs so that they can differentiate between the two :)

Leona said...

Your babysitter means well but it wasn't necessary of her to tell you what she said. It is obvious that Hayley is at the age where she picks up things very easily...so it is only natural for her to repeat words. If not from people around her, it can be from TV or her peers next time. So let them learn naturally right?

Kiasu Mom said...

Agnes, yeah every parent also aim to do their best and we all have different standards. So I think as long as we feel that we have done our best, it should be sufficient. I want to enjoy parenthood and not scared and dread over every single little thing and end up being upset 90% of the journey.

Leona, yeah thanks for your support. I really didn't like it when she told me off although I know she meant well. I always have this feeling that she is treating me like this because she knows I am a first time mom. But sometimes the things she said doesn't really make sense la..

Alice Law said...

Hey, you have a pretty thoughtful babysitter! LOL... I personally think "shh... quiet" is more gentle compared to "shut up" or "keep your XXOO mouth shut!" LOL!

It's good she picks up thing fast, I like this type of kids and more headache too(since kids incapable of screening through what they should and shouldn't learn), kiahahahah!

Have a great week ahead!

Ermayum said...

whenever we hear it get them to repeat to make sure we hear it right :) and explain that as a child it improper to say such thing but sometime they dont get it fast have to tell them many time but children take it from variety of sources esp the tv karton is not all good as well my 5 yr says aiman tak guna , aiman tak guna after a while i know that the upin and ipin BM karton use that word tak guna so how ?:D- again explanation part is penting you cannot copy all - teach them to think before saying also good i think - but as long as we instill positive value they will get it :)

Kiasu Mom said...

Alice, well looking on the good side you can say she is thoughtful. Looking on the bad side she is making us feel bad, like we're terrible parents who is not doing our best for our own kids...

As for her picking things up fast, a lot of people tends to comment that kids who are active are good. It means they are inquisitive and tends to be smarter. But they often forget to pity the parents who have to look after such hyper kids :-)

Ermayum, yeah TV also influences a lot. When she comes to a stage where she understands explanations, I bet I will be doing a lot of it. For now, I just need to BERSABAR!