Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bun at 35 weeks

2 weeks flew by yet again. On Saturday we visited Dr Lee again for my checkup. This time I gained 1kg - current weight 59.5kg. 14.5kg gained to-date.

It was a quick checkup, Bun was growing well and we didn't check Bun's weight this time. I told Dr Lee to check only at the next check up so it will be closer to due and I don't have to pay RM60 twice for this scan. It will also be easier for me to make the decision whether to opt for c-sec or natural if I knew Bun's weight at a later stage. Dr Lee said based on the size of my tummy, Bun looks 2 weeks older, ie he is hinting to me to expect Bun to be more than 3kg :-).

Dr Lee gave me some dates to choose in case I decided on c-sec. Since Bun's EDD is 10.11.10, Dr Lee suggested 30.10.10, 1.11.10, 2.11.10, 3.11.10 or 4.11.10. At this point in time, I think I will just go for c-sec due to the following reasons:
  • hubby strongly encourage that I go for c-sec again so I don't have to go through the trauma of attempting natural and then ended up being slaughtered if the baby won't crown again - this will also result us in paying extras for the use of labor room and also the operating theatre.
  • since we have Hayley at home with no maid/help, having an elective c-sec will help us plan a little better. We could make arrangements to drop Hayley at the babysitter's and prepare everything else necessary instead of going into panic mode if I suddenly experience labor pains in the middle of the night
  • my first was a c-sec so might as well have another c-sec since I already have a scar there
  • I know what to expect from a c-sec so hopefully will be able to prepare myself better - mentally and emotionally.
Of course there are a lot of disadvantages to c-secs too such as:
  • max 3 babies (not that I am planning of having more than 2 but you just never know)
  • the post surgery healing is much longer than natural birth and much more painful
  • movement is very restricted due to the pain for the first 2 weeks, breastfeeding while lying on my sides is almost impossible without help
  • won't be able to do 'urut' immediately which a lot of people say is really good and must do as soon as I can. I didn't have a single urut session after Hayley was born :-(
  • of course it cost a lot more too.. you're talking about RM3-4k V RM7-8k at SDMC
  • restrictions to certain confinement foods
  • more prone to infections post surgery (which I experienced 2 weeks after having Hayley)
Weighing the pros and cons, I am currently 70% leaning towards c-sec. Anyway, will decide in another 2 weeks. Hopefully I will be 100% sure by then.

I just hate making all these decisions but it is one that must be made. SIGH....

6 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

mine 3 are all cut up one.. haaha.. only the first 2 weeks a bit uncomfortable..after that, can eat, can walk properly... food vice, should be ok.. i love confinement food..

Saw Leng, KOH said...

actually, I'm kinda surprise to hear about your c-sec experience. To me, it was 24 hours pain, thereafter, it was bearable. My sis complained the same thing as you did, in fact, she couldn't even walked. But for her 3rd c-sec, she went to my gynae and the pain was like my experience.

Kiasu Mom said...

Reanaclaire, you only felt uncomfortable ah? so lucky leh. I was in pain oh. Then realised I had an infection and had to be admitted again.. sigh.. scared la...

Treasure Memories, that's why I changed gynae lor. I think my previous gynae is a bit different la. You know, he didn't even give me pain killers. I couldn't walk that much during the 1st week (getting down from bed for the first time was a nightmare) and I remembered you were walking about when I visited you during your confinement with Jaden like there was no pain! A friend recommended this new gynae and told me that it wasn't painful for her as well. But the previous trauma still haunting me...

Pei Chyi said...

hey Amy
it's great that you see the pros and cons of having an elective c-sect. I like how you don't describe it as a shortcut to having a baby. Sadly I know a few moms who swear by c-sects as the only way to have a baby in an instant.

I think having a birth experience that didn't go as planned the first time around will probably "assist" you in making your birth plan decision for Bun a little bit easier.

I trust that you are in the very good hands of Dr Lee. I like how he doesn't make you rush into a decision. Even though my baby was at the big side, he never once suggested that I won't be able to manage a natural birth. He and his team of midwives were dedicated and full of encouragement...and I successfully had an "almost" smooth vaginal delivery.

So whatever decision you choose, you do what you know is best for you and baby.

All the best for your delivery!

Alice Law said...

My 2 cents, once you have decided something, stick to it until the end!:) No worries, keep your positive mind 'switch on', you will be fine!^-^

Good luck and have a safe delivery!

Kiasu Mom said...

Pei Chyi, If given a choice I would prefer natural birth. C-sec is not that fun too you know. The pain lasts longer and the scar can sometimes look horrible... anyway, I am just one of those unlucky gal. Sigh...

Alice, you are right. I have to and will stick to my decision once I have decided. Hopefully whatever it is that I have decided, it will go well.