Thursday, June 10, 2010

Would you donate to a stranger?

That is what I did today. I donated RM100 to someone I didn't know. Not my first time though. Am I stupid or silly for parting with my RM100 hard earned money to someone I didn't know? I hope not. I hope the money is actually and truly helping someone in need.

I read on my friend's facebook today about a posting her friend wrote. Her friend is actually helping a couple to raise money for their son's surgery. The son, ie a baby is slightly more than a month old. The boy had various conditions and needs to be operated immediately. The surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and they were interviewed by some chinese press today to help them raise money. The surgery will cost about RM45,000 and this excludes all the other hospital expenses incurred. They are currently at Gleneagles Intan. I don't know if all these infors are true as they are found in the posting itself.

The story came with lots of photos, copy of reminders on outstanding payment from the hospital, letter of reference by hospitals as proof that it is not a scam. He is merely helping his friend.

Genuine or not my heart cringed when I saw the photo of the little baby covered in tubes and another photo of the mom wearing gloves and plastic apron touching the baby's face. The parents are not allowed to have any skin contact with the baby. Imagine that my friend! You can't even touch or kiss your own flesh and blood. I cried when I saw the photo, my eyes are watery as I am writing this.

I did wonder if this was a scam but then I asked myself, what if that was me. Thank God it wasn't me and I thank God for blessing me with a healthy little girl. To thank God for the blessing, I decided that I should help someone else in return. Although the amount is not something to shout for, I do hope it will contribute in helping the baby get better and eventually leading a normal life. I have been through the same situation 5 years ago when my dad was hospitalised. He was in a coma and was placed in ICU for 3 months in a private hospital. We received reminders and 'friendly' visits every week from the accounts department. We are constantly worried if our savings will be able to cover what seem like a never ending journey. Friends and colleagues helped. The hospital bill came up to about RM300k when it was over. So we know how it felt to be in that position, to be uncertain, desperate and worried.

Half of me is happy for doing what I did, the other half of me is wondering if I have been a victim of a scam. Whatever it is, I know God is watching from above. If this guy decides to scam us using such dirty tactics, he will receive his punishment. That I am sure. But if he is genuinely helping his friend, God will also see it and he will be blessed for having such a kind heart.

As for me, I hope little baby Matthew gets through the surgery tomorrow and that he will grow up to be a healthy and happy little boy who will in return help others!

UPDATES: I tried to log into his FB page to verify some infor but I can't find his page or the link anymore. I added him as a friend 4 hours ago and we exchanged some comments. Could it be some technical issues with FB or have I been scammed? My heart will be so shattered if I got scammed simply because I was just trying to help ...

UPDATES on 11 June: Apparently the father of the baby works in Public Bank and my sister who also works in PB received an internal memo this morning asking the bankers to help their colleague. Same story, same photos were shared. My sister also confirmed the father's name, ie the name of the account in PB that I made my donation to.

OK, this makes me really happy. At least I am highly convinced that the donation drive is genuine. Still don't understand why the friend who initiated the drive on the first place on his FB would disappear just like that.

Anyway, I hope baby Matthew pulls through the surgery today!!!!! Pray pray pray!!!

UPDATES on 12 June: I added baby Matthew's father on my FB list and he announced that the surgery went well yesterday but little Matthew will need to remain in ICU for 3 days for close observation. That is excellent news!

And the friend who disappeared from FB didn't really disappear. For some reasons (maybe they thought he is a scam), FB closed his account and removed all the links in relation to baby Matthew's story. He's now back using a diferent login profile :-)

7 comments:

Alice Law said...

Neah friend, you shouldn't think too much about it! I reckon something has done, we can't undo it... just pray hard for the baby wellbeing my friend, I'm so glad to know a kind hearted friend like you!^-^

Please have a splendid weekend! I'm proud of you!

Kiasu Mom said...

Morning Alice, yeah I know I can't undo what I have done. But it simply breaks my heart knowing that there are such people out there. If you do read China Press or whatever other Chinese dailies today and stumble across the story of baby Matthew, do let me know.

Reanaclaire said...

Hi kindmum, it is your kind nature that counts.. God bless u..
sometimes i received a lot from emails asking for donations and they showed a baby face there with all tubes attached.. not to say all are scams.. but then it is disheartening that they use babies to soften our hearts..

Alice Law said...

Hi friend! Matthew's article published on today's Sin Chiew Press, it's definitely not a scam. Claire's right, it's your kind hearted that counts!;)

Check this out!
http://search.sinchew-i.com/node/560545?k=matthew

p/s: If you can't read chinese, do translate it with Google Toolbars!:)

Ermayum said...

u have a kind heart - yeah those who have been there only knew kan - if u can afford to give - then just give and of course it is good to verify first - my chinese friends also forward me the link in FB :)

ye hospital swasta ni very mata duitan they chase after us right after our medical card or deposit burst - at that very moment - all is about money nowadays huh ?:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have also read about the link of matthew lim.. Can you forward the link to me? I also can't find his friend GAry lee's profiel... :) I donated to Matthew and would like to know how baby Matthew is doing...

TQ
lyncpf@gmail.com

Kiasu Mom said...

Reanaclaire, yeah... what you said is so true. There are so many scams out there, some may be true and that is why I want to make sure I only help the genuine cases.

Alice, thanks for the links. I translated it to English on google but the story doesn't really make sense... but its ok, I am keeping myself updated via Steward's blog. Baby Matthew seems to be doing well.

Ermayum, agree with you. If can afford to give just give BUT I want to make sure I am not supporting/encouraging scams. I want my hard earned $ to help those who is really in need. Life is getting so tough for us now, every single dollar is important. If the money I am donating is not going to people who really need it, I am going to be so heart broken.

lyncpf513, I have sent you an email.